How to know if I’m in the clear with ich

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished fallow period with copper. I had to stop it short. How do I know if the ich is gone? How many days before symptoms start coming back if it didn’t work?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished fallow period with copper. I had to stop it short. How do I know if the ich is gone? How many days before symptoms start coming back if it didn’t work?
I've heard the black molly trick is quite effective. Though they can sometimes be hard to catch afterwords. Basically drop a black molly in the tank and see if it gets sick

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Which did you cut short, the fallow period or the copper?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many days did you treat with copper?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Idaho Mojo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not had success with a black molly showing sickness sooner/easier than other fish.

In fact, the only black molly I have was the only fish to NOT show symptoms when I had brook and ich outbreak before I started my fallow period.

Tough little bugger.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question I have for my understanding

if a molly is open to catching marine crypto, how does adding the test molly not vector in the crypto again circularly, unless the molly was treated I guess? is it that the fw version wont vector into marine, but the molly is still susceptible to both strains>

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses everyone. I appreciate it, but what I really wanted to know is how long is takes for ich symptoms to appear if there is still ich in the tank? I have a tang that I’m watching closely but there are no symptoms right now. I know it’s only 2 days, but how long does it take for me to know I’m in the clear.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I’m not interested in a molly. If it has ich already, then I’m just adding ich to my system after I made it fallow. I also won’t be able to catch it after which is a problem.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer to your question is a bit of a tough one. Ich has been known to encyst on a hard surface in a tank for up to 70 days before "hatching" and then seeking out a fish to prey upon and begin the cycle anew.

And remember, the white spots you see are "after" the ich parasite has dropped off the fish after feeding upon it. The white spot is a mucous wound created as the fish's immune system is fighting to heal and survive.

Below is a representation of the "normal" ich life cycle. But your mileage can and will probably vary.

Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 1.20.05 PM.png

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 47 56.6%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back