How to light a small aquarium: What would you use for a pico light?

What would you use for a pico light?

• I would use an oversized light from a known aquarium light manufacturer.

Votes: 39 23.5%
  • I would use a no-name light for an online retailer.

Votes: 48 28.9%
  • I don’t have a pico tank.

Votes: 61 36.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 10.8%

• Total voters

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't a real "no name" light out there from online retailers.

I haven't found a single one that hasn't been thoroughly tested by hundreds of people. Whole threads here and other places that tear them apart and date back years all show progression and or problems with them.

"No name" isn't really a thing.

It really doesn't matter either about how small the tank is or how powerful the light is. With LED tech now you can turn almost any of them down or up.

I don't know why someone would chose a AI prime over a Nicrew. They have very similar review ratings. Nicrew actually beating them in some cases.

Tank smaller than that? Then people buy Lominie...

I personally got out of the brand name mess years ago.... I don't know why people still chase names in this hobby. With a little research there are plenty of alternatives out there and some are better.
I love this response, so many people underestimate the power of non-name brand equipment. It might take a little bit more knowledge but it has the same potential as the name brand stuff

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5g reef bowl, I can not find a light small enough with enough power to grow coral, for less than boo koo bucks, so I made my own.
I ordered blues violets red green yellow and 10k white.
This combo is perfect. connected them to a 12v wall wart with an rgb wifi control module. Alexa takes care of the timing and intensity... all said and done under $50
I have monti plating and digi now, w/ lots of soft coral and macro algae. clowns were only temp and have been moved to a large tank.

RSNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For me I’d say it depends on the footprint, but you can’t go wrong with an AI Prime. Relatively cost effective for the longevity if you buy it used and take care of it.

lilopop11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i start this tank 3 years ago, im using DIY product from local reefer here, its good enough for growing coral .. until a few month ago i change to maxspect lj130 .. So far, im very satisfied with both lighting ..

DiY Lighting :

Now-3.jpeg

Maxspect LJ-130 :

IMG_20231102_183106.jpg

oxo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i currently have a generic light on my pico, but i voted for name brand because i'm currently aiming to get an AI Prime :) would like to sync it up to my other tank

Kehy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, I've been tempted to go back and try salt water again for a little bit, but reading through this reminds me of some of the reasons why I left.

My favorite light for freshwater pico tanks? A $4 Goodwill desk lamp with a $6 (for a 2 pack) Daylight CFL bulb. It's currently lighting 2 separate tanks with more than enough output, even for the houseplants I'm growing out of the tanks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back