How to light a small aquarium: What would you use for a pico light?

What would you use for a pico light?

• I would use an oversized light from a known aquarium light manufacturer.

Votes: 39 23.5%
  • I would use a no-name light for an online retailer.

Votes: 48 28.9%
  • I don’t have a pico tank.

Votes: 61 36.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 10.8%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

With all the recent interest in pico aquariums, I have been wondering what reef keepers with small tanks use for lighting. Most quality lights on the market have traditionally been designed for mid-size or larger tanks with a few lights that could be used for nano aquariums. Although there are no-name lights from online retailers that are an option, it seems like there have been limited options for tanks less than ten gallons. What would you use for a pico light? If you have a small tank, please share your recommendations and tips for lighting a small tank.

WWC_DeskmateLight.jpeg

Photo by @WWC

If you are looking for a light for a small tank, R2R is hosting a giveaway for 54 winners of the Reef Breeder’s pico LED light. Feel free to click on the link and sign up now! Good luck!

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.worldwidecorals.com

WWCBanner.png

“For some hobbyists buying live coral online can seem like a risky endeavor. At WWC our staff takes the worry out of the equation by culturing extremely healthy corals, giving you a hassle-free guarantee, and providing you with a full online customer service team to ensure you are completely satisfied with your purchase.”

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like the AI Prime 16HD is one of the most versatile lights out there. You can tune them down to light picos, turn them up for smaller SPS builds. Have a long nano? Just add a couple more.

They really do cover a very wide range of tank sizes.

If you step "back" to the older Prime HD and upgrade the LED puck, they get even better.

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There isn't a real "no name" light out there from online retailers.

I haven't found a single one that hasn't been thoroughly tested by hundreds of people. Whole threads here and other places that tear them apart and date back years all show progression and or problems with them.

"No name" isn't really a thing.

It really doesn't matter either about how small the tank is or how powerful the light is. With LED tech now you can turn almost any of them down or up.

I don't know why someone would chose a AI prime over a Nicrew. They have very similar review ratings. Nicrew actually beating them in some cases.

Tank smaller than that? Then people buy Lominie...

I personally got out of the brand name mess years ago.... I don't know why people still chase names in this hobby. With a little research there are plenty of alternatives out there and some are better.

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably consider a single Kessil A160WE Tuna Blue. Sure its probably overpowered like hell, but it definitely is low profile enough for the job, and the shimmer is to die for.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhuo man, those new reefbreeder pico lights look pretty nice. Either that or a DIY. I have a grundle of heatsinks waiting for a moment like this.

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm personally hoping I also win a reefbreeder light for my pico, but for the moment I have seemingly very happy corals growing under a ridiculously cheap Nicrew light I wanted to test. Like $15 cheap, and it's putting out something like 160 par with a nice blue tint and fully programmable timer with ramp up and down.

It is admittedly not the light I intend to have later on in this build, but it's been great to get this pico up and running.

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With full dimming capability There really are a lot of options out there. The limitations aren’t the the lights themselves but how to mount it. I’m currently building a pico and it’s nice to have options.

Polymate3D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone

As the OP already knows, I am pursuing my own design and going with that for my Pico. I feel however it is a shame there aren't that many about.

TMC Illuminair nano comes to mind as the one which would make the most sense for the size and cost.

Looking forward to hearing of some more hopefully

- Paul :)

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of these clip-on lights doing a great job for my 20G High. One would work for a 10G. I have soft and hard carols growing. Hard corals grow well with low phosphate in the water. You can get them at the Walmart website. Read the reviews.

light.PNG

BubbleFett42079

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For my UNS 45L (3.8g), I use an old Kessil a80. The tank is primarily a Shroom tank, so no strong lighting needed. The light is 7” above the waterline.

Max is 15 watts, but I only do 50% intensity and 100% Actinic.

IMG_6468.jpeg

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

With all the recent interest in pico aquariums, I have been wondering what reef keepers with small tanks use for lighting. Most quality lights on the market have traditionally been designed for mid-size or larger tanks with a few lights that could be used for nano aquariums. Although there are no-name lights from online retailers that are an option, it seems like there have been limited options for tanks less than ten gallons. What would you use for a pico light? If you have a small tank, please share your recommendations and tips for lighting a small tank.

WWC_DeskmateLight.jpeg

Photo by @WWC

If you are looking for a light for a small tank, R2R is hosting a giveaway for 54 winners of the Reef Breeder’s pico LED light. Feel free to click on the link and sign up now! Good luck!

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.worldwidecorals.com

WWCBanner.png

“For some hobbyists buying live coral online can seem like a risky endeavor. At WWC our staff takes the worry out of the equation by culturing extremely healthy corals, giving you a hassle-free guarantee, and providing you with a full online customer service team to ensure you are completely satisfied with your purchase.”
I have a couple prime HDs that I thought about using for this, but this had started as a refuge for a mantis that hitched hiked in on some rock. Well, you know how the story goes. We put some KP rock in and a cheap filter and then my wife was like, can’t we have some flowy stuff in there. So I went and got the Fluval Nano Marine and I have to say, for the $50 it was well worth it. It’s growing stuff, albeit, this tuff would grow under a toilet seat at any NFL stadium. For kicks I checked it with my par meter.

Attachments

• IMG_2306.png
    IMG_2306.png
    817.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2307.png
    IMG_2307.png
    831.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2311.jpeg
    IMG_2311.jpeg
    139 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2310.jpeg
    IMG_2310.jpeg
    125.9 KB · Views: 81

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the option to grow therefore easier to reduce the output for task at hand knowing a bigger footprint can use this light or the fact only the higher level lights provide the flexibility I desire. Placed an XR15 on my desktop 20H although anything over 50% seems to have induced a dino and cyano outbreak. dino being a first for me and cyano something that's been lingering in low flow areas and was of little concern. I knew better but wanted to test a Fuge concept and apparently not enough macroalgae to out-compete this mess, my best guess.

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t use a brand name to light a pico tank. I think majority purchase name brand lights, reef lights in general for the complete reefing look.

I myself have been experimenting with non reefing lights and spend almost 80% less than what other spend on lighting.
My LFS has radions g6 on sale for 450 currently and I didn’t budge because I know reefing lights aren’t worth the price with unknown indirect competitors on the market

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 38 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back