How to lower Alkalinity

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so your DT is measuring 15 dkh. Did you test freshly made saltwater using the Kent salt for alkalinity? If not, do so now and report back what it is.

Not adding alkalinity by dosing.
Could be a bad batch of salt, but if you hadn't made a water change in quite sometime (4weeks) and the DT is 15dkh, something's way off.

What's your SG and what are you using to test SG?

With the DT at 15, I'd make up some new saltwater using that batch of salt to see where it's at.

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so your DT is measuring 15 dkh. Did you test freshly made saltwater using the Kent salt for alkalinity? If not, do so now and report back what it is.

Not adding alkalinity by dosing.
Could be a bad batch of salt, but if you hadn't made a water change in quite sometime (4weeks) and the DT is 15dkh, something's way off.

What's your SG and what are you using to test SG?

With the DT at 15, I'd make up some new saltwater using that batch of salt to see where it's at.

.024 with a calibrated Refractometer. I will make up a new batch of SW when I get home from work

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just NSW and food

You're using Kent salt mix, not NSW (natural seawater). I think you mean "new SW". I know people use NSW for "new SW" often, but it is improper.

Mix up a fresh batch of saltwater to 35 ppt and then test alkalinity. If it's quite high, then take a sample to your LFS for them to test it. Get them to check your refractometer calibration at the same time. This is probably a testing/calibration error somewhere or you're forgetting to tell us about some magic supplement you added.

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're using Kent salt mix, not NSW (natural seawater). I think you mean "new SW". I know people use NSW for "new SW" often, but it is improper.

Mix up a fresh batch of saltwater to 35 ppt and then test alkalinity. If it's quite high, then take a sample to your LFS for them to test it. Get them to check your refractometer calibration at the same time. This is probably a testing/calibration error somewhere or you're forgetting to tell us about some magic supplement you added.

I wish it was a magic supplement. I just recalibrate the Refractometer and used it on a buddies tank and it read .025 which matches what his reads.

My LFS just closed his doors on Fri and I had him check my Alk he read 15. I forgot to mix up a batch of New SW last night. Hope it's just the salt. My Birds of paradise frag is on its way out. Along with the Frogspawn isn't fully extended and bushy.

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, try testing a fresh batch of ASW then. If it tests high, mix the bucket thoroughly (roll it around on the floor for several minutes), make some new ASW and test that. Maybe it's a settling issue. 99% of the time though, it's not the salt that's the problem.

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, try testing a fresh batch of ASW then. If it tests high, mix the bucket thoroughly (roll it around on the floor for several minutes), make some new ASW and test that. Maybe it's a settling issue. 99% of the time though, it's not the salt that's the problem.

Even if it wasn't mix all the way in the bucket. It is mixed well in the tank. I will test as soon as I stop working Ridiculously long days

Myka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if it wasn't mix all the way in the bucket. It is mixed well in the tank. I will test as soon as I stop working Ridiculously long days

Mixing well in the tank isn't the point. The concern is the potential for the salt mix to settle and maybe you added a bunch of bicarbonate that was supposed to be mixed throughout, but it had migrated to the top of the bucket. I've never had an issue with settling, and I don't think it's a real issue, but according to the information you've provided, there isn't much left. I still think it's some kind of testing issue or adding something you forgot about because the information you provided doesn't make sense. You're not too concerned about it though because you haven't done much to change it. Haha.

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing well in the tank isn't the point. The concern is the potential for the salt mix to settle and maybe you added a bunch of bicarbonate that was supposed to be mixed throughout, but it had migrated to the top of the bucket. I've never had an issue with settling, and I don't think it's a real issue, but according to the information you've provided, there isn't much left. I still think it's some kind of testing issue or adding something you forgot about because the information you provided doesn't make sense. You're not too concerned about it though because you haven't done much to change it. Haha.

You are correct I am not too worried. I have been working 70hr-80hr weeks and whatever free time I have I put into my Classic car at the moment. I will eventually fix my problem but right now everything is okay and alive minus SPS frags.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just shaking my head (smh) at the last comment the poster made. No offense but it was kind of like “I’ve got other things that take priority or I’m too busy and it’ll be good til I get to it”. Just would do it with all the money I’ve got in mine and will have eventually.

OP
OP
Zack K

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just shaking my head (smh) at the last comment the poster made. No offense but it was kind of like “I’ve got other things that take priority or I’m too busy and it’ll be good til I get to it”. Just would do it with all the money I’ve got in mine and will have eventually.

Oh, yea not going to lie that’s exactly what it was. Life got into the way. But l came back around to it and now l took the advice and DKH is back to normality.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back