How to lower phosphates

reefbuilder1010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked my phosphate level in my 50 gallon aquarium and they are through the roof at .43 does anyone have any advice on how to lower it any info is much appreciated

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gfo and water changes will help. What is your nutrient export method?

OP
OP
reefbuilder1010

reefbuilder1010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gfo and water changes will help. What is your nutrient export method?
Have a media basket and filter sock on my outside chambers then a Im midsize protein skimmer in my second chamber but the protein skimmer is not skimming well after three months so I ordered a tunze 9004 dc skimmer that is going to replace the filter sock and im skimmer ( everyone says they work great so I figured it couldn’t hurt to give it a try

pseudorand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked my phosphate level in my 50 gallon aquarium and they are through the roof at .43 does anyone have any advice on how to lower it any info is much appreciated
Any idea why they are that high? Rock absorbs phosphate, so old rock may leech it out as fast as you can extract it for a while.

I've also tested phosphate that high after feeding reef roids. But since it wasn't coming from the rock, a single water change took care of the problem.

Also, what problems does your tank have that you attribute to that phosphate level. If none, perhaps you don't need to do anything.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a media basket and filter sock on my outside chambers then a Im midsize protein skimmer in my second chamber but the protein skimmer is not skimming well after three months so I ordered a tunze 9004 dc skimmer that is going to replace the filter sock and im skimmer ( everyone says they work great so I figured it couldn’t hurt to give it a try
That should help out tons, on my previous tank I ran that same skimmer it worked like a charm! I would just lower phosphates to desired range and watch how you feed.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gfo, water changes are not effective since much of phosphate binds to rock and substrate. If it gets above 0.7 look at lanthanum chloride into filter sox over a day or 2.
Like psuedorand said, reef roids and other foods are high sources.

OP
OP
reefbuilder1010

reefbuilder1010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea why they are that high? Rock absorbs phosphate, so old rock may leech it out as fast as you can extract it for a while.

I've also tested phosphate that high after feeding reef roids. But since it wasn't coming from the rock, a single water change took care of the problem.

Also, what problems does your tank have that you attribute to that phosphate level. If none, perhaps you don't need to do anything.
I have been having a lot of algae issues for a couple weeks now and just bought a Hanna phosphate checker because I new it had to be off just didn’t know how much until today I had hair algae and got rid of that with flux Rx which worked great but after I started getting diatoms again my the only thing I could see why they are getting so high is because my protein skimmer is dying and it’s only three months old (im midsize dc) so I ordered a tunze 9004 and that should help a lot tank was doing well until my skimmer started going bad

OP
OP
reefbuilder1010

reefbuilder1010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gfo, water changes are not effective since much of phosphate binds to rock and substrate. If it gets above 0.7 look at lanthanum chloride into filter sox over a day or 2.
Ok I will definitely keep that in mind thanks for the info!

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree and thought the same but I once had a dosing issue and nuked my tank with food grade phosphate and maxed out my Hanna reader. I only used gfo and water changes and brought it down fine.

OP
OP
reefbuilder1010

reefbuilder1010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree and thought the same but I once had a dosing issue and nuked my tank with food grade phosphate and maxed out my Hanna reader. I only used gfo and water changes and brought it down fine
Would it be good to try to do 10% water change every 3 days for the next week or two?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be good to try to do 10% water change every 3 days for the next week or two?
Not really, as said a lot of PO4 will be in the rock and even if it wasn’t you will only be removing at most 30%, which sounds a lot but at best it would only bring it down to .3 and that is if no PO4 is in the rock.

OP
OP
reefbuilder1010

reefbuilder1010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be a dumb question but am still new to the hobby. Would I put the gfo in the bottom of my filter sock and how much would I use?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be a dumb question but am still new to the hobby. Would I put the gfo in the bottom of my filter sock and how much would I use?
Better in a reactor, if you don’t have one then a very small mesh media bag so it doesn’t leak out.

depends what you buy, it’ll be on the side of the bottle, the amount to use.

OP
OP
reefbuilder1010

reefbuilder1010

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would I need a separate pump for a reactor? I have a im lagoon 50 aio or could I put the bag in the chamber where my sump is?

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am still having high phosphate and I just leave it. I found that only lanthanum chloride works but you have to constantly dosing it. My is at around .30.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back