How to lower phosphates

StephyC09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been up again since August 2020. We have 2 clowns and a lemon tang. We have a couple corals after several have died including my beautiful purple and gold torch. I did a water change Sunday, cleaned the sand bed well and cleaned our canister filter. Our phosphates were at 2.0 after that. Today I teated and it was between 2.0 and 5.0... The color was right between! How can I lower my phosphates?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiple way and somewhat depends on where your nitrates are at all. Refugium, carbon dosing, water changes, etc can reduce both but take time. skimmer, filter socks, etc can limit the amount of new phosphates/nitrates that build up.

As far as just reducing phosphates either GFO or lanthium chloride can very easily and quickly lower phosphates. Lanthium chloride is the cheapest and results are almost immediate (dont overdose and dont lower too much at once).

OP
OP
StephyC09

StephyC09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiple way and somewhat depends on where your nitrates are at all. Refugium, carbon dosing, water changes, etc can reduce both but take time. skimmer, filter socks, etc can limit the amount of new phosphates/nitrates that build up.

As far as just reducing phosphates either GFO or lanthium chloride can very easily and quickly lower phosphates. Lanthium chloride is the cheapest and results are almost immediate (dont overdose and dont lower too much at once).
My filtration is a canister filter. The tank is only 37g. Nitrates on 2/21 were 80 and today they were 160. We cleaned our canister filter media on 2/21 and tested after an hour after cleaning.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My filtration is a canister filter. The tank is only 37g. Nitrates on 2/21 were 80 and today they were 160. We cleaned our canister filter media on 2/21 and tested after an hour after cleaning.

Then your nitrates are quite high also so really needing a solution that addresses both. Without a skimmer that eliminates option like carbon dosing. Options are much more limited. More frequent(or larger) water changes, more frequent cleaning of canister filter(ie if you trapping detritus but not frequently removing it just is a place for it to break down), and less feeding i think to start.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with a couple large water changes this week to get the nitrates lowered. Clean your canister filter once or twice a week and start dosing NoPox. Takes a few weeks to start working

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big question - How often do you clean your canister filter?

From past experience with canisters, it should be cleaned weekly. Even at that you're risking fluctuations in params. If you can swing it, personally I'd add a sump w/fuge and skimmer. Yes it's $$$ & jostling of gear (overflow, plumbing, sump, return pump & skimmer) but the benefits outweigh the costs and headaches of a canister filter. I'd only use a canister on a fish only tank. Others here use them on their reefs but they are alot of maintenance vs a sump.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with a couple large water changes this week to get the nitrates lowered. Clean your canister filter once or twice a week and start dosing NoPox. Takes a few weeks to start working

I would strongly suggest not dosing nopox without a skimmer. In the short run it may help, but without an effective removal method of the bacteria(which is what nopox feeds) you are just cycling the nitrates within the system....at the cost of reducing oxygen levels.

OP
OP
StephyC09

StephyC09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big question - How often do you clean your canister filter?

From past experience with canisters, it should be cleaned weekly. Even at that you're risking fluctuations in params. If you can swing it, personally I'd add a sump w/fuge and skimmer. Yes it's $$$ & jostling of gear (overflow, plumbing, sump, return pump & skimmer) but the benefits outweigh the costs and headaches of a canister filter. I'd only use a canister on a fish only tank. Others here use them on their reefs but they are alot of maintenance vs a sump.
We unfortunately do not have the space for a sump and skimmer. I run a daycare so our set up is what it is given our space. I added a photo! My canister is behind the black table out of reach of little hands. Everthing must be contained.

Attachments

• 0119211138_HDR.jpg
    0119211138_HDR.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 29

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for a skimmer. I use the reef octo HoB and love it

OP
OP
StephyC09

StephyC09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for a skimmer. I use the reef octo HoB and love it
Unfortunately I do not have the space for one. Here is my set up. I run a daycare so thing! must stay out of reach!

Attachments

• 0119211138_HDR.jpg
    0119211138_HDR.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 26

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer fits right on top of the tank. Not much room is needed

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We unfortunately do not have the space for a sump and skimmer. I run a daycare so our set up is what it is given our space. I added a photo! My canister is behind the black table out of reach of little hands. Everthing must be contained.
Ok then as suggested a HOB skimmer (there's lots of small compact units) and maybe consider a HOB fuge set up. Those would help but weekly cleaning of your canister would be my suggestion.

OP
OP
StephyC09

StephyC09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok then as suggested a HOB skimmer (there's lots of small compact units) and maybe consider a HOB fuge set up. Those would help but weekly cleaning of your canister would be my suggestion.
We did not know we needed to clean that weekly until just recently. The intake and out put lines also need cleaned out or replaced bc they are gross!

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We did not know we needed to clean that weekly until just recently. The intake and out put lines also need cleaned out or replaced bc they are gross!
I bet they are. Years ago I ran 2 canisters independently of one another and cleaned them on alternative weekends and that worked but cleaning them got to be a pain. I switched to a sump and have never looked back.

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you find space for an Algae reactor, even a small one?
That can help.

KCheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been up again since August 2020. We have 2 clowns and a lemon tang. We have a couple corals after several have died including my beautiful purple and gold torch. I did a water change Sunday, cleaned the sand bed well and cleaned our canister filter. Our phosphates were at 2.0 after that. Today I teated and it was between 2.0 and 5.0... The color was right between! How can I lower my phosphates?
Well the canister could be the problem since the sponges just hold the waste and doesn't remove it or transfer it to another for, instead itll go back into the tank as DOC, clean your canister more often (Just sponges), purigen is a great chemical media to have as well, and maybe a hang on back skimmer or even a small skimmer that runs on airstone will work , a skimmer will be your best friend.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back