How to lower salinity in reef tank

RabidDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
argee with Garf, strongly recommend confirming that measurement prior to modifying your water, especially if your tank inhabatants appear good.

I was using the Hanna salinity checker and found that it was so erratic with its measurements I couldn't trust it at all. I got a Milwaukee MA887 Digital Salinity Refractometer and haven't look back since.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone else said, remove some tank water and replace with rodi. If my salinity ticks up, i remove 1/2 gallon tank water in am, and again in pm and let the ato refill. 110 gallons system volume. Check salinity until back where you want it.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to make a conductivity standard for the icecap pen. The standard should read 35ppt on the Icecap pen.

From the article @Garf posted:

Conductivity Standard

To make a 3.29 weight percent sodium chloride solution, dissolve 1 teaspoon (6.20 grams) of Morton's Iodized Salt in 182 mL (182 g) of freshwater (making a total volume of about 184 mL after dissolution of the salt). This solution can be scaled up as desired.

For a rougher measurement in the absence of an accurate water volume measurement:

1. Measure ¼ cup of Morton's Iodized Salt (about 73.1 g)
2. Measure the full volume of a plastic 2-L Coke or Diet Coke bottle filled with purified freshwater (about 2104.4 g)
4. Add 3 tablespoons of purified freshwater (about 45 g)
5. Dissolve the total salt (73.1 g) in the total water volume (2149.4 g) to make an approximately 3.29 weight percent solution of NaCl. The volume of this solution is larger than the Coke bottle, so dissolve it in another container.
[[Notice added post-publication: the standards described here that use Coke bottles are subject to variation in the volume of a 2-L Coke bottle. It has recently come to my attention that such 2-L bottles can vary in total volume, and that this can lead to at least a 1 ppt error in the salinity of the standards matched to seawater salinity of 35 ppt. Standards made with accurate measurements of salt and water should still accurately match 35 ppt.]]

If your salinity is too high, remove some tank water and replace it with freshwater. Retest to prevent dropping the salinity too low.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 71 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back