OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone. If I have to buy a new ato with closer sensors I will. It fluctuates between .25 to .27/.28 I’ve noticed. I’m just trying to find the easiest but accurate way. If I don’t need to touch then fine. It’s about 1”-1.5” from the water level sensor and the low sensor. My return chamber is the biggest I would say about 6” by 2.5/3”

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the change in salinity in display depends on the size of the return chamber where ato sensors are located in comparison to display. the bigger the ato chamber the bigger salinity change in display when ato kicks on.
This is only partly true. The other part depends on the distance of the sensors. The Reef Breeders ATO sensors are much further apart than other ATO sensors. I have one in my Evo and the water drops almost 2 inches in the return prior to the pump kicking on. When I ran a Duetto, the level in the return chamber dropped about a half inch if that.

I've never checked the SG so not sure what the levels are at before it's filled; the tank is running fine, and I'm not too concerned about a small swing.

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is only partly true. The other part depends on the distance of the sensors. The Reef Breeders ATO sensors are much further apart than other ATO sensors. I have one in my Evo and the water drops almost 2 inches in the return prior to the pump kicking on. When I ran a Duetto, the level in the return chamber dropped about a half inch if that.

I've never checked the SG so not sure what the levels are at before it's filled; the tank is running fine, and I'm not too concerned about a small swing.
So you’re saying I should upgrade my ATO? Any suggestions with closer sensor ATOs. I’m just not comfortable with that much swings ya know

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I like the Tunzes there is no "lag" in filling when the water level sensor isnt "seeing" water it kicks the pump on. That is very little water evap.

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I like the Tunzes there is no "lag" in filling when the water level sensor isnt "seeing" water it kicks the pump on. That is very little water evap.
I didn’t know tunze was like that! I prefer that. No water in sensor don’t wait till it gets to low sensor just keep Filling

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t know tunze was like that! I prefer that. No water in sensor don’t wait till it gets to low sensor just keep Filling
yes all of them are like that. The 3155 has been around for years. The osmolator 3 is the new one. I have both currently. The 3 has changed the design up from the 3155 a lot. Sometimes with the 3155 you have to make sure the sensor is clean or it may not operate, I just clean it when I do maintenance I used to keep a power head in the return chamber which also seemed to help. So far the 3 I have been using since January 0 issues it just works.

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes all of them are like that. The 3155 has been around for years. The osmolator 3 is the new one. I have both currently. The 3 has changed the design up from the 3155 a lot. Sometimes with the 3155 you have to make sure the sensor is clean or it may not operate, I just clean it when I do maintenance I used to keep a power head in the return chamber which also seemed to help. So far the 3 I have been using since January 0 issues it just works.
I’m looking at the osmolator nano being that my tank is 32.

Right now i calibrated refractometers again and my salinity is 1.022/.23

So going to add saltwater to ATO till it raises than get the nano

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at the osmolator nano being that my tank is 32.

Right now i calibrated refractometers again and my salinity is 1.022/.23

So going to add saltwater to ATO till it raises than get the nano
Thats the one I have not used. As far as I know it works just like the 3155. 3155s are on sale right now still I believe making room for the 3. I have the 3155 on my 30g. No sump just hob filter.

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay perfect just went to LFS and picked up a duetto 2 . Nothing but great review

OP
OP
jdivz87

jdivz87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need advice. Salinity at 1.022 should I put saltwater in ato reservoir? Till it evens out?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay perfect just went to LFS and picked up a duetto 2 . Nothing but great review
There are a bunch of reviews of the Duetto 2 failing on and flooding a system. This can probably be said about a lot of ATO's to be honest, since people tend to complain when things fail and fail to praise when things go great. But, the big thing with the Tunze is the 5 year warranty... No having to replace failing pumps due to the constant on/off of the pump for at least 5 years... gotta love that.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a bunch of reviews of the Duetto 2 failing on and flooding a system. This can probably be said about a lot of ATO's to be honest, since people tend to complain when things fail and fail to praise when things go great. But, the big thing with the Tunze is the 5 year warranty... No having to replace failing pumps due to the constant on/off of the pump for at least 5 years... gotta love that.
I have issues not many and usually related to cleaning the sensor. Other than that Tunze just work. I have never used a different brand so I have nothing to compare, but the way some of these sound like they are set up is just dumb. Why would you want that much evap before it turns on? As soon as thewater moves away from the sensor on a Tunze the ato kicks on, as soon as it touches the sensor it shuts off. Why would you want anything else?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have issues not many and usually related to cleaning the sensor. Other than that Tunze just work. I have never used a different brand so I have nothing to compare, but the way some of these sound like they are set up is just dumb. Why would you want that much evap before it turns on? As soon as thewater moves away from the sensor on a Tunze the ato kicks on, as soon as it touches the sensor it shuts off. Why would you want anything else?
I have no clue why they chose the sensor distances they did for a lof of the ATO's. I had the ReefBreeders Prism, twice, and it worked, had a slightly larger salinity swing than I would have liked because the sensors were so far apart (and the tank it started in didn't have a well-sealed AIO compartment), but it worked solidly for 3-4 years, then it failed, and I figured for less than $100 why not get a new one? Well, that one failed after only 4-5 months, tops, so I just got the Tunze Osmolator 3. It's fantastic, but as you said, cleaning the sensor is a must. I never had to clean the sensor on the prism, I've had to clean the sensor on the Osmolator three once already and I've had it about 3-4, maybe 5 months.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no clue why they chose the sensor distances they did for a lof of the ATO's. I had the ReefBreeders Prism, twice, and it worked, had a slightly larger salinity swing than I would have liked because the sensors were so far apart (and the tank it started in didn't have a well-sealed AIO compartment), but it worked solidly for 3-4 years, then it failed, and I figured for less than $100 why not get a new one? Well, that one failed after only 4-5 months, tops, so I just got the Tunze Osmolator 3. It's fantastic, but as you said, cleaning the sensor is a must. I never had to clean the sensor on the prism, I've had to clean the sensor on the Osmolator three once already and I've had it about 3-4, maybe 5 months.
I haven't touched the 3 yet been using it since january. My 3155s I cleaned/clean weekly typically if I didnt/dont it will act up a couple days later. But I keep an eye on the return chamber regardless. My 3155 is on a sumpless 30g so its even more important to keep it clean.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back