How to maintain nutrients in a tank during 76 day fallow period.

arcangelreef32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have a serious ich outbreak in my DT, fish have been removed and will be going through treatment.
Going to be leaving the display fallow for the 76 days as suggested by some.
Question is what would you do to maintain nutrients in the tank for coral?

What I am contemplating is dosing ammonium chloride and just dumping in reef roids every couple days or possible smaller doses daily.

Thoughts? What would you do if u were in a similar situation?

george9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your plan sounds good to me, but I don't personally have first hand experience with dosing ammonium chloride so would not go this route myself. Accidentally overdosing ammonia sounds terrifying.

If it were me personally, I like to control exactly how much I am adding, which you cannot do easily by dumping in reef roids. I'd dose nitrate and phosphate with either neo nitro/neo phos or potassium nitrate / sodium phosphate.

Honestly there are tons of ways to do this and you'll likely get many different answers, but most importantly as long as your nutrients are not crashing to zero, you should be in good shape with whatever you decide to supplement with

Last edited:

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just feed your inverts. I qt my corals for and CUC additions for 76 days. Every day I throw in some mysis or flakes and do regular 10% water changes in a 13.5 gal tank. Add phyto once a week for the corals. Softies are doing great thriving and multiplying and my gino looks good too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back