How to maintain stable alk

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
when I started using AFR, I did a large water change on my system (30%), measured parameters, and then decided I wanted the magnesium slightly higher and same with alkalinity. Calcium was pretty close to where I wanted but on the lower end of the accepted range. Dosed the magnesium over 3 days and got it to 1450, then raised alkalinity to 9 using Red Sea part A over 4 days, 0.25 dKh at a time. And then started using AFR daily as instructed and raising until it was stable. Took me altogether 2 weeks to get parameters exactly where I wanted them. Now whenever I add many frags at a time or if I see my coralline is going nuts or if my colonies are going wild I test and adjust the volume a little and it all stays almost on cruise control. Everyone has their own way of doing things.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello, so my tank is 90 gallons, 8 months old, I do not have a sump, or refugium. I have a skimmer, UV sterilizer, HOB FLITER AND AN oase canister filter. A friend recently gave me a PC RAINBOW ACRO, so I am in need of keeping things as stable as possible and I have never done SPS before. So my question is, what is the best method for this? I have read a lot about using 2 part dosing for maintaining calcium and alkalinity, but which is best? And when to use? Any and all help is much appreciated
I would consider using the BRS method - which I believe was originally worked out by Randy Holmes Farley. You can merely use a dosing pump with 2 'channels' to dose both parts. Hope this helps.

PS - you need to define 'stable alkalinity'. some people say let's say 7-9. Some say 8-9 some want it at 10.0 24/7. It depends mostly on your preference. personally I was comfortable using tests that estimated alkalinity to 0.5.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 36 41.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 43 49.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back