How to make a DIY fuge light for your biocube

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some may have seen this around before, but I realized that lots of these parts will not be the exact ones at the store so here is how I fit it all together -

Disclamer - These are not my ideas so I am not taking credit for it

Everyone put on your imagination hats, because I have no pics.

What you need -

- x1 Set of Halogen light discs from home depot in the lighting section (not the LEDs they aren't bright enough) - $20 for three
- x2 Gang boxes (one that can fit 2 lights and one that can fit 1) - $3
- Industrial grade Velcro - $4
- Timer (optional, I don't have one yet so not sure about pricing)
- Clay or plumber's putty - found some sculpey clay in my basement
- Screws that fit into the gang box holes - $2
- Clear packaging from the lights
- Maybe duct tape

Tools -

- Paint Scraper or something to get the vinyl of the back of the tank (I used a sanding sponge, but it took an hour and a half :mad:)
- Some pliers or wire cutters or a drill and wide drill bit

Before these steps below, scrape the vinyl of the back of the biocube big enough for both gang boxes. You will be able to see right through. (I scraped the entire back off)

#1 - pop the hole out of the back of the gang box where you want the cord to go through. Make sure you can fit the plug through the hole. If not then rip it apart with some heavy wire/bone cutters (I didn't have a drill LOL) or drill a hole big enough

#2 - feed the wires through the holes and place the lights into the boxes (two in the big one, one in the little one)

#3 - If the lights don't quite fit into the bottom then use your putty or clay and put it onto the contact zones under the light and then gently press the light into place. Add a couple small clumps on the top sides to stabilize it.

#4 - cut out pieces of the clear packaging from the lights to fit over (leave access over the sides to screw it in) the gang box.

#5 - Put the clear plastic over the gang box and pierce the screw through the spot where the hole is and screw it in.

#6 - Repeat step five until the cover is secure. And do the same for the other gang box.

#7 - Edge the box in Velcro on the clear plastic but do not block where the light will shine.

#8 - Cut out the other side of the Velcro and put the Velcro together. So you will have Box - Plastic - Velcro side #1 - Velcro side #2. Don't peel the backs of Velcro side #2 yet.

#9 - peel the backs off Velcro side #2 and carry to the back of the tank. Stick on where you want it. This stuff doesn't come off easy so make sure you know where you want it.

Plug it in and enjoy! :bigsmile:

To make the fuge -

#1 - Remove the removable bottom in compartment #2

#2 - Replace with a custom egg crate piece where the removable bottom was.

#3 - Make another egg crate piece for the rim near the top (where the trickle filter thing used to be)

#4 - Add some filter floss on top off the "high" egg crate.

#5 - When ready, add some chaeto between the pieces of egg crate!

There is also some room to run chemical filter media under the bottom piece of egg crate.

Your done! :bigsmile:

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 31 40.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 38 49.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back