Cipro dip for incoming anemones

Wtyson254

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any recommendations (please Include dosage) for dipping incoming anemones in cipro upon arrival prior to placing them in the display. I am well aware of the treatment protocol, but I was considering a prophylactic dip/bath.

I have 2 H. mags and one H. crispa coming in. Both have been in captivity doing well for over a month at the online retailer.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any recommendations (please Include dosage) for dipping incoming anemones in cipro upon arrival prior to placing them in the display. I am well aware of the treatment protocol, but I was considering a prophylactic dip/bath.

I have 2 H. mags and one H. crispa coming in. Both have been in captivity doing well for over a month at the online retailer.
As with humans, antibiotics should not be used unless the full course is going to be run for treatment. A dip really does nothing for them, as they do not actually take in the medicated water in that short of a time.

When I get new nems, I "flush them" while acclimating them. basically, I take a larger shallow tote, put the nems in it with the water they were shipped and then replace that water every 15 minutes with 50% new SW after they are quickly acclimated to my new SW. Doing this, I have had less issues with nems, but some will still need treatment in the end.

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No one will give you the answer you’re looking for when it comes to cipro, i can’t find many people on here that support the use of it . I do know that it certainly helps with bacterial infections within anemones. I don’t know if it’s different for anemones but a coral cipro dip is generally done in this way:

Dip Initial Mixture : Mix 500mg Cipro in 50ml of RODI water (store in dark container in the refrigerator)

Cipro/Amoxi Dip : Add 10 ml of solution above to 500ml tank water. Dip corals 2-4 hours . Add air stone or sponge filter to maintain oxygen and movement. Move water with turkey baster occasionally.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to agree with Steve. Dipping in an antibiotic isn't the way its supposed to be used. Won't help treat anything with a one and done.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can’t find many people on here that support the use of it .
Interesting. I don't know of many people with a valid argument why Not to support it, outside of antibiotics being limited in supply and to save them for humans.
Dip Initial Mixture : Mix 500mg Cipro in 50ml of RODI water (store in dark container in the refrigerator)

Cipro/Amoxi Dip : Add 10 ml of solution above to 500ml tank water. Dip corals 2-4 hours . Add air stone or sponge filter to maintain oxygen and movement. Move water with turkey baster occasionally.
As Steve mentioned above, one exposure to the meds does nothing beneficial here. As with humans, if you're not going to move through the full treatment, best not to start it. Doing this could give the animal a future resistance to the meds as well.

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Only Cipro treat if the anemone shows signs of infection: inflate/deflate cycle, gaping mouth for more than a few days, flat or flaccid appearance for more than a few days, inability to attach to surfaces. The full 7 day process should be followed.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed fully here. If you’re going to engage in antibiotic treatment, you need to run the full course of treatment, running less than the full course only strengthens antibiotic resistance/tolerance within the bacteria and risks making the issue massively harder to treat (it’s part of how superbugs have been created).

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont get it A coral vendor I byt from says he doses his tanks with anibiotics! he swears by them. Also why do people give anemones antibiotics? I just watched a yotube and somone one from WWC said that! Hense the reason I found this post! I have an anemone and nevr dipped it. it was aquaculted though so maybe thats why!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont get it A coral vendor I byt from says he doses his tanks with anibiotics! he swears by them. Also why do people give anemones antibiotics? I just watched a yotube and somone one from WWC said that! Hense the reason I found this post! I have an anemone and nevr dipped it. it was aquaculted though so maybe thats why!
It's more common with carpet nems than the bta, rfa etc that are popular in the hobby. I would never recommend in a display tank or dipping though. For some reason people believe that anemone are the only species that don't require antibiotics as a course.

The treatment recommended in the anemone forum is the only I would endorse. Even then proper diagnosis should still be observed.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one will give you the answer you’re looking for when it comes to cipro, i can’t find many people on here that support the use of it . I do know that it certainly helps with bacterial infections within anemones.
I don't agree with this at all. All of us here will share any information that we have. We definitely support the use of antibiotics--if done correctly.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipping anemone isn’t going to help. If it is infected dipping won’t do a thing except selecting for resistant bacterial which is a really bad thing.
It the anemone not infected it does not need the dipping. If it is infected it won’t be help by the dipping but most likely worsen by it. It will get infected with resistance organism

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few coral vendors who have come up with their own dips that include various antibiotics. And if they're used as a dip, then the use of the antibiotic was done incorrectly. I suspect that other ingredients in the dip (oftentimes iodine) did the heavy lifting.

Regarding being aquacultured, this has no impact. All anemones-- wild and aquacultured--can be susceptible to bacterial infections. We just see it a lot less in BTAs than we do other anemones.

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't agree with this at all. All of us here will share any information that we have. We definitely support the use of antibiotics--if done correctly.
Idk man almost every post i've seen regarding cipro have been met with ***** criticism. Anyway, yall should look into oxolinic acid dosing. A research paper was just published about it and it seems to be a more effective/safer alternative to cipro.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk man almost every post i've seen regarding cipro have been met with ***** criticism. Anyway, yall should look into oxolinic acid dosing. A research paper was just published about it and it seems to be a more effective/safer alternative to cipro.
If it's met with criticism, it's usually because the protocol wasn't followed correctly (again, any time a dip is involved, it's incorrect) and this is with any antibiotic, not just Cipro. Also, dosing Cipro in a DT instead of within a QT tank is oftentimes frowned upon (it's really just a waste of Cipro most times, since the tank volume is usually a lot greater than a QT tank, and dosage is based on water volume), though some have done it without adverse affects. The belief is that Cipro may kill enough of the beneficial bacteria in the DT to cause an imbalance that may trigger other issues, such as an algae or cyano outbreak.

I've heard about the use of oxolinic acid but haven't tried it myself. Can you share the link to the paper? I'd love to educate myself, especially since the findings are based on actual research instead of anecdotal evidence that we've been accustomed to in this hobby.

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's met with criticism, it's usually because the protocol wasn't followed correctly (again, any time a dip is involved, it's incorrect) and this is with any antibiotic, not just Cipro. Also, dosing Cipro in a DT instead of within a QT tank is oftentimes frowned upon (it's really just a waste of Cipro most times, since the tank volume is usually a lot greater than a QT tank, and dosage is based on water volume), though some have done it without adverse affects. The belief is that Cipro may kill enough of the beneficial bacteria in the DT to cause an imbalance that may trigger other issues, such as an algae or cyano outbreak.

I've heard about the use of oxolinic acid but haven't tried it myself. Can you share the link to the paper? I'd love to educate myself, especially since the findings are based on actual research instead of anecdotal evidence that we've been accustomed to in this hobby.
As far as im aware, the article is only accessible in the newest CORAL magazine. I can give you the dosage though : 1/2 gram per 10 gallons. Dose one day and leave skimmer, UV, and carbon off. Wait a day (with UV, Skimmer, and Carbon on if you want). Dose again with UV, Skimmer, and Carbon off. Then wait one day , and dose one more time. Those three things should be off for 24 hours after dosing the treatment. Obviously since it is a powder, the solution should be mixed in a small cup with tank water and dosed into a high flow area of the tank/sump

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back