How to make DIY RECIRCULATING BIOPELLET REACTOR

WOW! i haven't been getting any of these updates this thread is really taking off. Thanks for all the nice comments. Great job on your reactor!!
 
Choudawg, if you google seach pex plastic, thats where I found that piece. I tried to modify a brs reactor too. It was a miserable failure.
 
Very nice diy. And it looks nice too, imo; it's not full of different random parts. Keep us updated on your experience and how it works for you. I may have to build one myself and upgrade to a recirculating BP reactor! Thanks
 
Choudawg, if you google seach pex plastic, thats where I found that piece. I tried to modify a brs reactor too. It was a miserable failure.

I google'ed it but I'm still unsure where in the build you used it. Only place I can think of is maybe at the top outlet T where it looks like you fitted some kind of screw in adapter but I'm not sure why you'd do that when it's just connection to more 1/2" PVC. I can't see anywhere that would use a 3/8" male thread with a 1/2" female thread outlet. Or is this piece the hex head white plug on top of the reactor? Please see my previous question about the plug as well if that's not it, curious if it comes with the reactor or you bought it separately? The NextReef website doesn't list the thread size for those top two threaded in/out so I can only guess. Thanks!
 
Hi,guys.
I have a this reactor,can me using from this for bio pellet reactor?
Image:

Best,
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20150519_002105.jpg
    IMG_20150519_002105.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 329
So... I'm a year late to this party! I had not considered this.... My old DIY GEO knockoff kalk Rx is sitting unused, I think I'll give this a try. Total cost a liter and a half of bio-pellets and a MJ 1200 impeller!
 
Well it's been two years now and this guy has been working perfect. the only thing I've changed is I changed out the ball valve to a true union ball valve for cleaning. We've built quite a few of these for people in our area. If you have any other questions let me know!
 
Did you end up keeping the uniseals or did you glue the pipe in place?
 
I'm interested in making one of these as I want to run a bp reactor and I have the exact same reactor already.

My question is, how does the water get into the reactor if the intake is plumbed into the reactor?
 
Hi Riche. Go to the first post and look above the pump. You will see a white John gusset fitting. That is the input. The output is another line on top of the reactor
 
Hi Riche. Go to the first post and look above the pump. You will see a white John gusset fitting. That is the input. The output is another line on top of the reactor
Thanks man, I see what you are talking about.

Now on to the DIY table in the garage
 
I know this is an ancient post, but who doesn't like a little resurrection here and there.
So, my understanding is that you adjust the flow to produce the tumbme you want, without having to worry about if that level of flow will draw too much thru the system and strip your system of nutrients. Then the effluent is controlled by how much is drawn into the system. My lack of knowledge comes from how the reactor draws fluid into the system. Does it work on a Venturii principle that the small tube at the top of the reactor moves water so fast it draws some in thru the small line?
 
It is drawn in the 1/4 line on the top of the PVC. That is the inlet side of the pump, so the pump draws water in the reactor there.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 30.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 17 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new