How to measure the par of my Red Sea 90 lights?

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get a better understanding of the par light in my tank so than I know where to place my corals. Does anyone know what the par measurements are for the Red Sea 90 light? I have 2 of them on my Red Sea 350 G2

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get a better understanding of the par light in my tank so than I know where to place my corals. Does anyone know what the par measurements are for the Red Sea 90 light? I have 2 of them on my Red Sea 350 G2
Buy/rent/borrow a PAR meter.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, any lights, just PAR readings.
I keep it simple, people play way to much with light.
Oh so it doesn’t matter on the light. Does the intensity of the light matter? Like 60% blue and 20 percent white?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh so it doesn’t matter on the light. Does the intensity of the light matter? Like 60% blue and 20 percent white?
You typically want blue and UV channels wide open. Much lower for red and green and even lower for whites. The white light does nothing for coral it is mainly for viewing pleasure.

Try the Photone app on your phone, It gives a fairly accurate par number which I confirmed with a par meter on my tank. Some people even put their phone in ziplocks bags and check underwater. I just held it at the surface.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You typically want blue and UV channels wide open. Much lower for red and green and even lower for whites. The white light does nothing for coral it is mainly for viewing pleasure.

Try the Photone app on your phone, It gives a fairly accurate par number which I confirmed with a par meter on my tank. Some people even put their phone in ziplocks bags and check underwater. I just held it at the surface.
Ok I will download that I test it out. So does corals like different par levels?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Intensity matters much. Spectrum same.
But your lights have both correct, it’s a matter of not over lighting the tank which is easy to do, and no much forgiving.
You can measure intensity with PAR values from a PAR meter.

Most reef lighting has the correct spectrum but each have there own thinking….can’t say that matters much.

Corals use the blues most effectively.

Without measuring PAR, start lower, say 50% blue, add others a tiny bit to get the coral corlour you want and leave it at this point for months.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will download that I test it out. So does corals like different par levels?
Yes light par is critical to coral success. SPS high light, LPS med light and softs low light in general terms for coral. Different reactions corals show cam tell you about the light par. I suggest you research this topic before adding corals to your tank.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back