How to mount lights (rimmed tank)

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m looking at getting lights to convert my FOWLR into a Fish+Soft coral tank, but am a little stuck with mounting options.

Lights I’m currently looking at are Nicrew, Vipaspectra and Noopsyche.

Some of these have mounting arms, but the reviews indicate people have had to modify their rimmed tank to get them to attach, and no way am I cutting the top rim… others come only with suspension cables - I don’t have anything over the tank until the ceiling so that looks tricky.

For the ones with mounting arms - what are experiences and options for these? My current thought is to get the local glass place to cut me a couple of thick pieces and stick those behind the tank to mount to so it’s not flexing the relatively thin rimmed tank glass.

For the ones with cables/wires - are there frames folks buy to put these above a tank?

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can build a canopy for your tank. What i did originally and had a bar go across the top to hang them if your using the Vipaspectra. The Noopsyche and some of the nicrews come with a mounts.

Which lights are you looking at specifically?

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things you can do that are easy.

My first lights were viparspectra, with a hanging kit. I mounted those from shelf brackets I installed over the tank. Easy and I got a shelf out of it too.

Next I tried the smatfarms (you didn't list them, but it's a good example) the included mounting arm was intended for both rimmed and rimless, but the screws were backwards for a rimmed tank, so I had my husband drill and tap new holes on the correct side, reusing the included screws. Then I switched tanks and the rim was thicker so these would require me to trim the plastic rim. It was a 2 piece bracket so I was able to remove half of it and it left a way to screw it directly to the wall. I can take pictures if you want to see. Super easy and very secure. Use wall anchors if your wall is hollow, mine was wood being sheetrock so I didn't need them.

Next lights were the noopsyches. What I'm running currently. Thier bracket did not fit rimmed tanks, however there are 3d printed adapters that fit over the wider rimmed tanks and then the noop light bracket fits over the adapter. I was able to make use of my wall mounted arms from the previous lights though so I didn't need the adapter, but I know they are available.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back