How to mount?

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this candycane in the sand for a couple weeks now. I'd like to move him to the rock work.

IMG_20180405_175457_656.jpg

He is on a branch of some sort. Should I cut it very close to the polyp? or is it better to keep a few cm of it, and glue that? I think the entire piece is too long to mount.

Also suggestions on where:
IMG_20180405_175516_610.jpg

IMG_20180405_175523_134.jpg

I am thinking either the front lower left corner on the first picture, but that'll be pretty high flow. Or the left corner on the second picture.

Any tips welcome.. this will be first time trying to mount a coral, i've got a product called corafix.

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Candy Cane coral can grow in pretty low light IME. I would not cut anything off of it. If you can buy some reef putty/epoxy you can push the base into the epoxy and glue it to your rock work.

OP
OP
dopey

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The branch is crazy long, 2-3" long. Shouldnt I get the coral as close to rock as possible so it can encrust it?

a6walter1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A trumpet coral, or candy cane as some call it, is an LPS coral (Large Polyp Stony). These corals do not encrust, but rather grow branches.

I would mount it the way it is, so that it has room to branch out.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find a place mid to lower on the rock with a hole that the base will fit in. Get some reef putty and glue it it place. Dont cut it. These corals branch by splitting heads as they grow, the split head will grow in 2 polyps and each will grow out as a branch. This happens over and over again and in a year you will have a baseball sized candy cane coral. Be sure to spot feed it with some decent coral food and mysis about once a week. These corals will eat and grow faster when fed.

OP
OP
dopey

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I knew how the coral grew in terms of one starting to split into two and eventually forming two unique branches, but for some reason assumed all stony corals did encrust.Was also confused since the frag I bought had two polyps still joined somewhat, and have a hard time visualizing how they'll eventually split into two unique heads.

I guess I am confused how this thing will grow, as it's sitting on a 'small' top of a branch. It looks like the two polyps on it are in process of splitting, since they are still connected. Guess time will tell how. My thinking was since these two were sitting on top of this 'stick', it made sense to get them as close to a large base like the rock, instead of continuing to grow on the end of a stick?

Really dumb question, this stick/branch i'm talking about.. is that part of the coral ? I had assumed the polyps encrusted(s) onto the stick.. not that the stick was grown by the coral?!

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The branch is part of the coral. This is how many LPS grow. Hammers, Torch corals, Frogspawn, etc.. and most do not encrust. The branch you see is calcium deposit that is generated beneath the living polyp. As the coral grows upwards and out it will leave behind the skeleton (branch) that may still have living tissue inside. So it's best not to cut, and let it continue to grow how it is.

OP
OP
dopey

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the information. Surprising that long of a branch grew from those small polyps. I knew they formed branches but that long?:eek:

I'm tempted to keep it down in the sand in this case for a while. From what I read they do good with lower/medium light and low/medium flow. I think it could look good front right of the tank down in the sand area as it turns into a cluster.

thanks again!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back