How to move Fromia sea star?

Jcantrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to perform a water change but my Fromia sea star always hangs out around the top of the tank. How do I safely move it so that it will not be exposed to the air whilst performing a water change? The tube feet seem delicate so I am hesitant to forcibly remove it.

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't attach very tightly. I always used to just tap them until they released and fell to the bottom.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to perform a water change but my Fromia sea star always hangs out around the top of the tank. How do I safely move it so that it will not be exposed to the air whilst performing a water change? The tube feet seem delicate so I am hesitant to forcibly remove it.
They can be out of the water for a brief period. If the water level falls so that it's exposed for a few minutes it will be fine even if it doesn't move or you can just nudge it to the side like others mentioned. It won't hurt it either way. This is coming from someone who's taken multiple Fromia stars completely out of the water dozens of times to weigh them in order to assess health.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be out of the water for a brief period. If the water level falls so that it's exposed for a few minutes it will be fine even if it doesn't move or you can just nudge it to the side like others mentioned. It won't hurt it either way. This is coming from someone who's taken multiple Fromia stars completely out of the water dozens of times to weigh them in order to assess health.
Thread highjack;
Whats the secret for their long term health to avoid them falling apart like old rusty car?

OP
OP
J

Jcantrell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back