How to move the unwilling...

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im replacing the rock in my display tank due to an unfortunate infestation of aiptasia, and Ive come across a problem. I have two rocks with mini maxi and rock anemones attached to them that I need to remove - however, these little nems are firmly rooted into the crevices of the rock.

Does anyone have a good way to get the nems off without ripping them to shreds? The rocks have numerous aiptasia on them as well, otherwise, I would just use some superglue and seal it up, no worries, but Im trying to start clean, with no nuisances, so thats not really an issue.

Ive heard of using a small container of tank water and "floating" the rock over it (exposed to air), which will cause the nem to move towards the water, but this seems sketchy, since the nem will be out of the water for some time, and I dont want to kill them. Thoughts?

20160521_082853.jpg

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try using a power head and aiming it directly at the nem, it irritates them and makes them scoot. I've also heard of people placing ice cubes or cold packs near their foot, again, same affect, just makes them angry. I've heard mixed results from both approaches. You could also try and chisel each one away from the rock, but could be risky.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I want to make my anemones move I give them a poke, and if I do it enough, they typically take the hint and start walking. Not sure if yours will do the same, but once they start to walk they're pretty easy to scoop up.

I would worry with the air exposure scenario that they wouldn't be able to move to the water and dry out!

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the ideas so far. Rock nems have their foot way down deep in the rock, so Im hesitant to chisel - not to mention the potential for missing an aiptasia thats tucked into the rock. Ice also seems out in this instance, though i will try it on the minimaxi, as I can see its foot. I'll try the power head in a 10 gallon tank with a rubble bottom - perhaps that will get them moving.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back