How to: phyto and pod culturing

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing some research on how to culture phyto and copepods but have found many different ways to do it... Which is the easiest/best? What are the benefits to adding phyto to a reef? How much do I dose? What type of pods are best for culturing are best for culturing and flourishing In a reef? Any other help overall would be great

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used tetra phyto from Mercer of Montanna. You just need to have sterile tools and equipment, some f/2 algae fertelizer, a light, and some sort of air stone (I also have a nano pump in my phyto culture). The key is keeping things sterile. There are lots of videos on tyoutube. I'd imagine apocyclops pods to be the easiest based on what I have read but I am sure someone else will chime in with more details on the pods.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I have to change water at all? What is the process some of you reefers use?

The phyto water gets changed as you use it. A for pods, again I do not really breed pods (I have 1 culture just for fun) but I put some bacteria on sponge in their container. I know some do water changes with their pods but again if you are regularly feeding pods I would imagine that would count.

Here are some pod videos

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I just started my journey on phytoplankton and copepods.

I also started with Tetra and I'm pretty successful with it. I've turned 36 Oz into way too freaking much.

I also read that Apocyclops pods do fine with tetra but I couldn't find any info on their breeding time. I was wondering two years later have you picked up any new info, if you've been successful, or if you chose to go a different route all together.

I'm looking to start a copepod culture soon as well. I know tisbee breed like rabbits but don't care for phyto too much compared to diatoms and detritus. And Tigre pods love phyto but breed very slowly. Apparently Apocyclops pods fill the need both the others dont? Can you either confirm or deny? I'll keep an ear out for a response.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 79 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back