How to preserve the life on uncured live rock

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im receiving 40 lbs of uncured live rock from KP tomorrow. Super excited but wanna know how I can prepare best for it. I am going to cure directly in my tank as a means of cycling my tank. I’ve talked to Phillip and he said that is good and I can use prime the first couple days to help detoxify the ammonia. But in the long run besides ammonia how can I keep everything alive. All the sponges and possible filter feeders like feather dusters? It’s a brand new tank so obviously there’s little to no nutrients, food, micro organisms, etc. So how can I keep these filter feeders alive?

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hit or miss to what lives. Best bet is a lot of water changes.
KP recommends 30% water changes daily for the first couple days, but that isn’t very realistic long term. How often and how much would you recommend until the tank matures?

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges don’t do well if they get removed from water so avoid that. Prime and water changes and adding phytoplankton probably the best you can do.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im receiving 40 lbs of uncured live rock from KP tomorrow. Super excited but wanna know how I can prepare best for it. I am going to cure directly in my tank as a means of cycling my tank. I’ve talked to Phillip and he said that is good and I can use prime the first couple days to help detoxify the ammonia. But in the long run besides ammonia how can I keep everything alive. All the sponges and possible filter feeders like feather dusters? It’s a brand new tank so obviously there’s little to no nutrients, food, micro organisms, etc. So how can I keep these filter feeders alive?
I’d let it cycle initially and add some Dr. Tim’s One and Only to help it along. After a week or two when ammonia and nitrites are gone...do a 50% water change and then feed the rocks minimally with Reef Roids to keep them thriving.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is assuming KP is shipping the rocks overnight in water. If not you’ll have a lot of die off and will need to do more water changes. If you add bacteria, don’t do a water change for 48-72 hrs.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is assuming KP is shipping the rocks overnight in water. If not you’ll have a lot of die off and will need to do more water changes. If you add bacteria, don’t do a water change for 48-72 hrs.
Im getting shipped in damp newspaper... so I’m assuming don’t add bacteria because with the die off I don’t think waiting 48-72 hrs will be good.

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KP recommends 30% water changes daily for the first couple days, but that isn’t very realistic long term. How often and how much would you recommend until the tank matures?
Use the bottled bacteria but it will be overwhelmed. First few days for sure and then often still. It going to smell a little bit.

First time I picked up Live rock from the airport I put 100 ponds in a 100 gal tank. My house smelled like rotten eggs for 2 weeks but I didn't know to do big water changes . lol

It will be worth it. Live rock is very cool.

U

User1

View Badges

Is the rock being shipped under water, partial water, or something else? Couple reasons why I am asking is because if it is shipped over night, fully submerged (like TBS), then there is no curing. Your tank is prepped ahead of time with water set to proper levels, place rock in the tank, and Bob is your Uncle. It is that simple and should only be a slight, if any, mini cycle.

On the other hand if the rock is in flight a few days or partial submerged or wrapped in paper then yes, you will have a cycle to some degree. It will be between a mini and full depending on the amount of die off. Typically one does not have a full cycle with live rock. Back when I used live rock from Fiji (1999) it was shipped 2 day air wrapped in paper. I only had a mini cycle / ammonia spike from a few sponges that didn't make it.

I think uncured is the wrong word to use here but it doesn't matter and I am probably talking about semantics at this point. For filter feeders you can buy something like Phyto Feast and add a little bit every other day. It is good stuff but you need to be careful with it and not put too much in. Feather dusters, corals, clams and others will love this stuff but again it is super concentrated from what I remember.

Edit: I see you are having it shipped with wet papers. In this case you will see a mini cycle. After placing in the tank test ammonia the next day. Continue to do so daily to see how it is progression until it reaches 0.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im getting shipped in damp newspaper... so I’m assuming don’t add bacteria because with the die off I don’t think waiting 48-72 hrs will be good.
In that case I’d do a 50% water change after 4-6 hours. Then the following day. You’re gonna see a lot of die off and ammonia is going to be very high. Once you get the ammonia under 4ppm. Then add the bacteria (nitrifying) and the ammonia will feed it.

DungSl1nger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got mine shipped in damp paper. I put it in a tub and did regular water changes every day. My ammonia unreadable (high) on the Red Sea kit. This lasted for about 8 days. At day 12 ish all was good. As far as life you will be surprised at what made it through that. I found crabs, worms, starfish, filter feeders, and spaghetti worms after it went in to my tank.

My suggestion is get it fresh salt curing as soon as possible, do the water changes and don’t worry, a lot of life will make it through.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the rock being shipped under water, partial water, or something else? Couple reasons why I am asking is because if it is shipped over night, fully submerged (like TBS), then there is no curing. Your tank is prepped ahead of time with water set to proper levels, place rock in the tank, and Bob is your Uncle. It is that simple and should only be a slight, if any, mini cycle.

On the other hand if the rock is in flight a few days or partial submerged or wrapped in paper then yes, you will have a cycle to some degree. It will be between a mini and full depending on the amount of die off. Typically one does not have a full cycle with live rock. Back when I used live rock from Fiji (1999) it was shipped 2 day air wrapped in paper. I only had a mini cycle / ammonia spike from a few sponges that didn't make it.

I think uncured is the wrong word to use here but it doesn't matter and I am probably talking about semantics at this point. For filter feeders you can buy something like Phyto Feast and add a little bit every other day. It is good stuff but you need to be careful with it and not put too much in. Feather dusters, corals, clams and others will love this stuff but again it is super concentrated from what I remember.
It was shipped today around 5-6pm and supposed to make it to my house around 10:00am tomorrow. Shipped damp wrapped in newspaper. I will look up phyto feast and order some.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that case I’d do a 50% water change after 4-6 hours. Then the following day. You’re gonna see a lot of die off and ammonia is going to be very high. Once you get the ammonia under 4ppm. Then add the bacteria (nitrifying) and the ammonia will feed it.
Gonna have to pick up some more salt:oops: running low lol

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally ...

if you’re cycling the tank anyways . The rock is already or has been live , I’d cycle everything .
there will be some organisms that die causing ammonia spike , but essentially ... ammonia spike is needed to cycle the tank anyways .

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 93 51.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back