How to propagate aiptasia by sixty_reefer

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they just like the nudibranch that eat Aipatasia, i had a lot of free high end corals that year :)
A3BBDA80-0E60-480F-BA19-E81D03C6264C.gif

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi this is not the first time I posted a thread similar to this I have some aptasia that live in one of my aqua clear 30 gallon per hour hang on back filters I use on my 15 gallon tank I had some in the tank proper but I eliminated them using aptasia x and eventually a peppermint shrimp they still survive in my one filter and I leave them alone.I had read an article in reef hobbyist magazine about a reef system that the author said there were aptasia living in the sump but not in the tank and believed that the aptasia helped in the filtration process and I think that may be possible the system was awesome.I had purchased some nudibranchs online at one point and it was a waste of money!

samb5590

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once noticed a small aiptasia toward the bottom part of a frag plug after I had transported it into my display tank. Buried the thing in the sand, and haven't seen it since.

Luiza Saad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A uncommon subject from an uncommon reefer, you may wonder why do we want to culture aiptasia wend this is one of the primary pests in our hobby since the very beginning . The answer is fairly easy. By understanding aiptasia propagation we can a) create a thriving culture of aiptasia eating nudibranch and b) understand how we can slow down the growth of aiptasia in our reef tanks.

1. How to set up a tank for aiptasia
  2. how to propagate aiptasia
  3. How to feed aiptasia
  4. How to keep a sustainable source of aiptasia
  5. Tools

1. How to set up a tank for aiptasia

My preferred method is to set up a shallow container, no more than 4” tall set up in a small sump with a 6 mm air line as a return from the display, with a small layer of activated carbon as a substrate. Ideally you will want the temperature in this container to range from 27c/80.6f to 29c/84.2.

2. How to propagate aiptasia

Once you have collected some aiptasia from your display, I recommend you to cut the aiptasia in half or in quarters once a week. This can easily be done with a pair of tweezers and long scissors. Gloves and goggles are recommended when you are fragging any coral, and aiptasia is no exception so please use adequate ppe.

3. How to feed aiptasia

From experience I have noticed that aiptasia will prefer smaller foods as they are easily digestible. I feed mine a mixture of daily hatched artemia and frozen lobster eggs. Other foods might work also as long as they are small. You would be surprised on how effective hunters aiptasia can be.

4. How to keep a sustainable source of aiptasia

As for keeping a sustainable source of aiptasia I recommend that once your tray is full to just give half of the aiptasia to your nudibranch. I tend to wait until they are expanded and just cut the top half were the tentacles are, and keep the foot in my tank to regrow, in average it takes 7 days to grow back to the original size. This way my number of aiptasia keeps on growing and the nudis getting enough food.

5. Tools

My favorite tools are long stainless steel tweezers and a long curved scissor

Pic updated weekly
030126B4-F31A-49CD-A4A3-0FA4D1F9B75C.jpeg
50401CCB-F77B-4EDA-9D9E-C1753E6FB8BE.jpeg
20E280A8-5AB0-4E0C-AB25-0E1ACF266D08.jpeg
7DB69D38-21A0-4EBD-BDFF-75A6D68CFDCE.jpeg
6EAF904D-2725-4812-9F62-51BDDD2093BB.jpeg

32D3FD8E-0604-4B2C-A878-DCF66717CBF2.jpeg
Hi! This is really impressive. I’m a postdoc researcher at MIT. I’m currently developing research on the nudibranch Berghia stephanieae. I’m trying to understand their regeneration capacities, and how they accomplished regenerating their bodies and ceratas. I currently have a big aquarium with 9 reproductive adults. But my main issue is that my Aiptasia colony is not keeping up with the Berghia hungry. They are eating them way too fast. I will try your tips for raising them. But I was wondering, do you think about selling one of these full boxes for me?

TobysTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! This is really impressive. I’m a postdoc researcher at MIT. I’m currently developing research on the nudibranch Berghia stephanieae. I’m trying to understand their regeneration capacities, and how they accomplished regenerating their bodies and ceratas. I currently have a big aquarium with 9 reproductive adults. But my main issue is that my Aiptasia colony is not keeping up with the Berghia hungry. They are eating them way too fast. I will try your tips for raising them. But I was wondering, do you think about selling one of these full boxes for me?
There is a guy on eBay selling huge clumps of aiptasia for this exact purpose.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’ve only done it as an experiment and to help folks keep this hungry animals feed.
One of the main tips I can give you is to add fish to the system you growing Aipatasia or to connect it to a system that contains fish, they do need all the other parameters as other corals to sustain life and to be able to regenerate fast preferably high nutrients conditions and often fed.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 81 77.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back