How to protect myself from glue accelerator?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says it causes cancer on the bottle...

I am planning to do it in a very well ventilated area, but if the structure gets too big I might need to go inside of the tank to glue the rest.

I could place a fan inside the tank...what other safety tips would you recommend?

EDF4E8A4-5321-42E7-8D33-226DC6FBBA70.jpeg

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything in one way or another causes cancer based on materials or chemicals used. It's the whole "caution hot liquid" thing, because an idiot gets burned and sues the company that every company has to put warnings for everything to cover themselves. I don't think being exposed for a short time will really harm you. If you're really concerned like you said run a fan and wear a mask.

George81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is only one way to get your answer. Look up the msds on the product. dont Listen to nonsense and anecdotal rubbish.
the material safety data sheet.
the msds will provide you with all the Information you need.
if your concerned enough the information is out there for you to find and get your answers on how to use the product safely.

I assure you if the manufacture says it causes cancer it’s not a general label they put on there to cover their behinds.…

edit I put manufacture it’s material

Last edited:

Gogol_frag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says it causes cancer on the bottle...

I am planning to do it in a very well ventilated area, but if the structure gets too big I might need to go inside of the tank to glue the rest.

I could place a fan inside the tank...what other safety tips would you recommend?

EDF4E8A4-5321-42E7-8D33-226DC6FBBA70.jpeg
I would advise you to use Nyos ReefCement instead. Super-glue and accelerator also work (and I have recently used it)... but the Nyos Cement works better and is extremely washable (from your fingers). I had super-glue and accelerator stick to my hand and aquarium a couple of times (in spite of all precautions), and alchohol swabs do remove all of it, but you have to rub for 5-10 minutes like your life depended on it. Which is extremely scary and I want to avoid it if possible.

After discovering Nyos Reef Cement I am never using super-glue and accelerator in my reef. The reef Cement can work for small, medium and large projects. It is a very flexible product. I would suggest using a pippette to add water to the powedered cement. It helps you with moisture control.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assure you if the manufacture says it causes cancer it’s not a general label they put on there to cover their behinds.…

No it is usually there because it is required by prop 65 in California(assuming they want to sell the product in california). Just because a product has the warning in no way means that normal use of the product is any significant cancer danger... it only means that one or more of the chemicals used in the product is known to possibly cause cancer.

Thats the problem with these warnings because at this point most all chemicals end up with the warning even though the vast majority are no risk when used appropriately and makes it much harder to truly identify those products that you should be concerned about.

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20210427_223141418.jpg

Take it seriously but also with a grain of salt but that is from the American Cancer Society website. When Prop 65 first came out, I worked at a Whole Foods Market, we had to be put signs all over the store including the bathrooms. Not cancer but still related we had to put signs on the frozen food doors to where we kept fish and other seafood to advise for mercury poisoning. Do you know how much you have to consume to get enough levels of mercury to get poisoned?! There is a genuine level of warning but there is also a large level of CMA. Like I said, it only takes one person to sue for millions because they got burned from spilling their coffee. There's a lot of evil people who just look out for ways to do it.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back