What Glue did you use? (NSA marco rock)

ChunkyBlenny14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning an NSA aquascape and I have the mortar, but not the right super glue. Did you use thin or thick glue method? I'm having trouble finding thin glue. Ordered accelerator but BRS is currently out of their big bottle of thick glue. So I'm stuck, anyone find a good glue off Amazon?

Zelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also searching for a glue to use since BRS is out of stock on the large bottle and GlueMasters thin big bottle is out of stock on amazon. Not really wanting to spend 80$ to order 2 bottles direct from the company. Any alternatives?

OP
OP
C

ChunkyBlenny14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also searching for a glue to use since BRS is out of stock on the large bottle and GlueMasters thin big bottle is out of stock on amazon. Not really wanting to spend 80$ to order 2 bottles direct from the company. Any alternatives?
I bought the thick version off Amazon, I'm not about to spend 15$ in shipping for glue from them directly. Hopefully it works well also bought the other brand of thin glue on Amazon and some ic gel.

Zelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the thick version off Amazon, I'm not about to spend 15$ in shipping for glue from them directly. Hopefully it works well also bought the other brand of thin glue on Amazon and some ic gel.
Please update with how it works! Im considering just buying the medium and trying to use it the same as people are using the thin, but I dont want to waste the money on it if its not going to work.

OP
OP
C

ChunkyBlenny14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please update with how it works! Im considering just buying the medium and trying to use it the same as people are using the thin, but I dont want to waste the money on it if its not going to work.
For sure, I will post tomorrow or the day after. I got them both in the mail today. Gluemaster thick is very liquidy in the bottle, moves quick when shaking. The other one I got off Amazon is from CECCORP extra thin glue. It looks like water in a glue bottle lol, I could hear it moving when shaking the box. I'm going to try them out on some marco rock after work tomorrow and I'll let you know.

Zelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used all gel (and mortar) while mixing matching marco sand into the glue.
Is that a brand? I want to use the thin glue with sand method but I cant find any large bottles that people are recommending. Ideally available on amazon or local big box stores

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used thin super glue that I bought from a local store for cheap (Harbor Freight). It was 10 of the little tubes for around $3. It was a pain to open a ton of the little tubes, but it was the cheapest way to get the glue for me. With baking soda (or rock dust) in the joint and then dripping thin superglue on it the bond was incredibly strong.

Zelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used thin super glue that I bought from a local store for cheap (Harbor Freight). It was 10 of the little tubes for around $3. It was a pain to open a ton of the little tubes, but it was the cheapest way to get the glue for me. With baking soda (or rock dust) in the joint and then dripping thin superglue on it the bond was incredibly strong.
What glue was it? I'd like to just go to my local store as well but I dont know how to tell what glue is reef safe.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What glue was it? I'd like to just go to my local store as well but I dont know how to tell what glue is reef safe.
It was just regular superglue. Any basic superglue is reef safe. The glue I use to glue frags down in my tank I buy from the dollar tree.

Here is exactly what I used, but the brand doesn’t matter. It’s just what I found to be the cheapest.

I will point out again that the small tubes is a pain to use though because I only got a joint or two from each tube.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All Cyanoacrylate glue (super glue) is reef safe.

Don't be fooled into buying some special expensive reef safe glue from the LFS, just the cheapest you can find will be fine.

Zelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All Cyanoacrylate glue (super glue) is reef safe.

Don't be fooled into buying some special expensive reef safe glue from the LFS, just the cheapest you can find will be fine.
Any recommendations on what the big box stores carry? I havent seen any that specifically says cyanoacrylate. Is it an ingredient or what?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Superglue "Gel" for structural and regular/thin for adding sand over a joint. My preference is superglue gel then epoxy over that. If using purple rock I use purple epoxy and add texture by pressing rock into the epoxy before it dries (making a rock impression not actually imbedding the rock). If using white rock I would use gray epoxy then sand and superglue over the joints to hide epoxy. . .

I use Gorilla SUPERGLUE, regular and gel types. If I were doing it on a large scale I might consider using cheaper CA superglues. . .

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever try with calcium carbonate powder ?
Im on the impression that it do the same thing.
(I don't want to mess with my alk tank :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: )

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever try with calcium carbonate powder ?
Im on the impression that it do the same thing.
(I don't want to mess with my alk tank :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: )
I used ground up rock dust also which I imagine is likely the same thing, or at least similar. I started with baking soda, then as I had enough rocks broken up that I had a pile of dust on the table I started using it. They both worked well, and the rock dust visually blended in better. The joints with baking soda were really white, so I glued a little rock dust on the outside of most of those joints to help hide them.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a brand? I want to use the thin glue with sand method but I cant find any large bottles that people are recommending. Ideally available on amazon or local big box stores
The brand doesn't really matter as long as it is cyanoacrylate. I used both BRS and generic from amazon.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want 2 types.. thick and thin.
The reason why i say this is because you want to use the thick with accelerator to hold the pieces at joints as a tack, so you can then put powder and thin as a final motar set.

Some things i wish i knew that would of saved me some time...
Get gluemaster glue.
Its the best straight up, yes shipping is expensive, but i first started on the amazon brand, and its night and day vs gluemaster.

Get the Thin or Ultra Thin....
You want something thin, when you use powder or it will bead off it if the glue is too thick.
You want the glue to absorb into the powder right away.
Again gluemaster's Ultra Thin was a bit too watery but worked well, i think the Thin is probably a more idea choice tho.

But i used both the Thick and Thin glue with accelerator for the thick glue as a tack.
And i also ended up using almost a full 16oz of the thin glue.

OP
OP
C

ChunkyBlenny14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really recommend the glue masters thick, it holds very well paired with brs insta set. Just have to be careful not to squeeze or pour too much out, especially weird angles cause it can leave ugly globs. I also got the cec Corp extra thin off Amazon to bond with rock dust . It works good also, but can be hard to control. I wish it came with a longer nozzle. I'm making my way there

Attachments

• 17059502978675394303905140527209.jpg
    17059502978675394303905140527209.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 15

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved over to Maxspect Coral Glue from BRS. I tried Maxspect when BRS was out of stock last year. I like how this glue works, gluing frags and plugs to my rockscape.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back