How to quarantine a wrasse.

That works well, but you don’t need to ramp up copper power slowly, that advice is gut ionic copper. The risk of a slow ramp up is that diseases can get fired up during that time. I also only observe for 3 days before starting copper.
Thanks Jay. I’ll follow that advice next QT.
 
Here is the issue with observation. If the fish is carrying disease, by the time you see something on it, it might be too late.

Having had the pleasure of meeting Mr Velvet back in Feb-March of 2025, it was instant. Lost a lot of fish sadly! Could have been avoided. Velvet at times can kill a fish before you even truly see what is going on. Fact of out hobby now, is that disease is so prevalent one reason is the amount of fish in confined space. That more than likely the fish might have or be carrying diseases.

So why waste the me week? Ich for example might not even show up for two weeks. So in technicality from what I have experienced personally with diseases is that 2 weeks or what it took for LFS fish to show ich. Had I done QT right away that would have been avoided.

I learned to trust the protocol here. And it works well. But to each their own. I just like to stay ahead of the issue. And one week is not enough observation. I think Jay’s protocol is 42 days of a fish being clear to give the clean bill of health. I don’t have that kind of time in my hands to leave it to observation, and I don’t trust a week of observation.
Thanks. Really good advice. I’m changing on my next QT.
 
So for a wrasse you can
1. Do observational quarantine. People frown on this but it's what public aquariums do. It causes the least stress to the fish. Watch for signs of disease and treat only as needed.
🤔
I haven’t read through the posts past this one yet but I’m thinking Jay will chime in here.

Yep, he sure did.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new