How to raise nitrates

Llg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I am still new to saltwater tanks. I currently have a Fluval 13.5. The tank has been reading 0 for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates using API kit and also the ammonia alert badge. PH is 8.1, calcium 470 and alkalinity was 7.7 today.

I currently use filter floss, chemipure elite, and purigen as my filtration and also have some rubble and a few stones (in case I need a QT tank I have the instant cycle ready to go). I also have a refugium setup in the second chamber (light on 12 hrs).

There are currently 2 small clowns, 1 tiny orchid dottyback, TSB, and 2 snails. I feed daily and have had cocapods stocked for 3 weeks.

There is a small amount of brown and green coloring on the rocks (dry rock at the start). I dose daily with phytoplankton and use microbacter clean once a week. Lights are still off as I don't have corals yet.

I ordered some neonitro to try to elevate nitrates. Is there anything else I can do to raise the nitrate to avoid bad algae growth? I have considered reducing the light on the fuge, but wasn't sure how short of a time I can go. I do 10% water changes every 2 weeks only because I feel I should, but don't really need to based on the parameters. I know the tank cycled as I used pure ammonia and measured parameters daily and slowly introduced fish out of QT after that.

What is the appropriate nitrate level I should aim for?

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally try and keep my system's NO3 around 5 ppm. I do this by dosing potassium nitrate. Last test this morning, to include the previous few NO3 test showed my system just under 5 ppm possibly around 2.5 ppm.

Your post reads as though you have a good handle on your system. I would just go about taking your time and strive for constant stability. :)

Ccote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 gallon and my nitrates are bottomed out. I’ve been dosing 1ml of neonitro daily for the last five days with no results. Am I dosing enough? Will this eventually work or am I doing something wrong?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back