How to raise PO4 without chemicals

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may not be the first person to think of this, but I’m pretty happy with myself at the moment because I never read this before (but its probably here somewhere).

I was suffering from low PO4. But not suffering with low NO3.

Now I came upon this by accident so it’s not like I’m very reed savvy or anything.

When I first setup my tank I had a lot of rock in it. And it was all in there long enough to get covered with algae.

Then I rescaped and removed a lot of it and put it in a box in the garage.

A couple weeks ago, I was wanting to rescape again as most of us do.

So I got a lot of the rock I had that been in the garage they was still green / brown after a couple months.

I put it in my sump for a couple weeks and tomorrow I am doing some scape changes.

Well, after about 10 days or so, my PO4 was up to .05 vs 0 on my Hanna ULR for weeks.

Adding the once live rock is the only thing I did.

So I’m thinking that if you put extra rock in your tank solely for the purpose of getting algae covered etc, then as a newer tank is maturing and suffering from low PO4, you can have a “bank” of dead rock that you can use to raise PO4.

Does this make any sense, or am I way off base here?

Criticism welcome as I am not a chemist or reef guru by any means.

Mike

Last edited:

Ctg0209

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m following correctly are you suggesting putting dry rock into the sump with the goal of having the dead organics in the rock breaking down and increasing NO3 and PO4? I am currently also suffering from low PO4 and definitely understand the logic behind this. I might have to give this a try. Maybe someone with more knowledge can answer this

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m following correctly are you suggesting putting dry rock into the sump with the goal of having the dead organics in the rock breaking down and increasing NO3 and PO4? I am currently also suffering from low PO4 and definitely understand the logic behind this. I might have to give this a try. Maybe someone with more knowledge can answer this

Yes, dry rock that had been in the tank and covered with algae, then removed and stored until needed vs adding chemicals.

Nothing wrong with chemicals.

I guess you could call this the natural or organic way!

I think!

I’m interested in seeing what @randyholmesfarley says. I respect his opinion and advice.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this. Totally natural. The biggest difference I see with chemicals is chemicals can be measured to exact specifications. But if you monitor, why not try.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a solid plan for those already in the hobby. Might be difficult for those starting out. With all the legal changes in rock might be hard to get live rock or even uncleaned dry rock. Only reef rock ive seen in months is vat cured, from florida, or dry rock with very little dead life on it(man made or quarry mined).

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this. Totally natural. The biggest difference I see with chemicals is chemicals can be measured to exact specifications. But if you monitor, why not try.

I agree totally with chemicals. It’s easy to measure and controllable.

I think every rock would be different. I know nothing happened for the first 3 days after I put the rocks in the sump as I test every Sunday.

Then after 7 more days PO4 measured

I will be testing again tomorrow.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you could call this the natural or organic way!
Thats a clever outcome. I wound be worried about a bloom of po4 or spike after a few weeks.
now I have high po4 .58-62 now this spiked from Zero 2 months ago and no no3 from that time. Are you running GFO i started Rowa last week and still not seeing a drop.

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a clever outcome. I wound be worried about a bloom of po4 or spike after a few weeks.
now I have high po4 .58-62 now this spiked from Zero 2 months ago and no no3 from that time. Are you running GFO i started Rowa last week and still not seeing a drop.

I ran rowa about 3 months ago in a mini reactor. 3 tbsp for 3 days and PO4 went from .15 to 0, and I have struggled to get it up ever since.

I have a lot of fish and feed pellets and frozen live foods a lot.

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a solid plan for those already in the hobby. Might be difficult for those starting out. With all the legal changes in rock might be hard to get live rock or even uncleaned dry rock. Only reef rock ive seen in months is vat cured, from florida, or dry rock with very little dead life on it(man made or quarry mined).

I started with reef cleaners and Tonga plate. I cured the Tonga before my build.

So all algae and organic were grown in my tank, then removed, dried and stored.

Like I said, this was all by accident. I just put 2 and 2 together last night

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 tbsp for 3 days and PO4 went from .15 to 0, and I have struggled to get it up ever since.
TMI!:p I need to get some better flow I placed 125ml in the supplied bag. Ill get a reactor going. Has anyone used it stacked with GAC?.... thinking output side

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like an awesome plan, might be harder for people just starting now to use would be the main limitation. With all the legal changes with rock

Why did this post again? Lol

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back