How to Re-Seal a Tank

SkyAquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, so today my tanks seal on the bottom panel came apart. Does anyone know how to reseal a tank? Not just on the inside, but to reseal the glass panels together as well. Please I’m begging I don’t have anyone around me who can do it for me. Thank you in advance!

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few videos on youtube about this. You generally want to pull all panels, clean them, rebuild the tank. How big is the tank?

OP
OP
SkyAquatic

SkyAquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really!? Awesome that’ll help so much. It’s a 150 gallon bowfront aquarium. I know I’ll have to do a water test. And I know what silicone to use. I have sealed the inside before just not the panels to the bottom. (As in taking the whole thing apart, and re-putting it back together.)

mnl119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, so today my tanks seal on the bottom panel came apart. Does anyone know how to reseal a tank? Not just on the inside, but to reseal the glass panels together as well. Please I’m begging I don’t have anyone around me who can do it for me. Thank you in advance!
Be careful on pulling the panels apart.

I once had a 180 glass aquarium where the seal failed. I pulled everything apart, stripped and resiliconed the panels back together, then resealed the seams after it dried. About 4 months later, one of the glass panels cracked. I theorized that I fatigued the glass pulling the panels apart. It was a real mess (as you might guess).

OP
OP
SkyAquatic

SkyAquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful on pulling the panels apart.

I once had a 180 glass aquarium where the seal failed. I pulled everything apart, stripped and resiliconed the panels back together, then resealed the seams after it dried. About 4 months later, one of the glass panels cracked. I theorized that I fatigued the glass pulling the panels apart. It was a real mess (as you might guess).
Thank you for the tip! I spoke to my LFS and they gave me some information as well. Turns out I even have to replace the aquarium frame. (It was damaged and the top braces were drilled into) Apparently it’s compromised. I’m kind of doing it all DIY now and custom finishing it. I think it will work in the end but it’s definitely daunting.

mnl119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the tip! I spoke to my LFS and they gave me some information as well. Turns out I even have to replace the aquarium frame. (It was damaged and the top braces were drilled into) Apparently it’s compromised. I’m kind of doing it all DIY now and custom finishing it. I think it will work in the end but it’s definitely daunting.
Yeah, it's a bigger job then it first appears.

After it was done, I thought that I should have tried taking a piece of very fine steel wire (like a guitar string) and running it back and forth into the seem (like dental floss) to see if I could have gotten the panels apart while inducing less stress that way. Never tried to do it again... just went with acrylic tanks after that. The tank was not very well made... a 6 ft tank with no center brace. That probably contributed to the problem in the first place.

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is this tank ? How many Gallons ?

OP
OP
SkyAquatic

SkyAquatic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, it's a bigger job then it first appears.

After it was done, I thought that I should have tried taking a piece of very fine steel wire (like a guitar string) and running it back and forth into the seem (like dental floss) to see if I could have gotten the panels apart while inducing less stress that way. Never tried to do it again... just went with acrylic tanks after that. The tank was not very well made... a 6 ft tank with no center brace. That probably contributed to the problem in the first place.
Yeah, I’m going to silicone some custom cut glass braces. The tip was too far gone. I can’t seem to find a replacement either. It is what it is but agreed it’s a much bigger job than I first thought.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back