How to reduce noise from skimmer?

Pete Hammersley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I’ve got my tank set up, I’m only 13 / 14 weeks in. 200 gallon tank. I made a custom 5 foot sump to go under the 6 ft tank, hand built the stand and light canopy etc...

my sump has 5 chambers:
1 for RO water with tunze ATO,
2 for filter sock, lots of live rock and ceramic rings
3 has my skimmer on a stand to give it exactly 19 cm of depth (recommended 18-20 )
4 a refugium with 2 grow lamps
5 return 10,000 ac pump, and a gallon of marine pure bioballs.

I’m pretty happy with it all, except I find the skimmer particularly noisy. Its the Red Sea 600 skimmer, with only one method of adjustment which is the Big dial at the front for the water height.

Has anybody managed to reduce the noise of a skimmer? Or am I best just putting it on a timer so it comes on throughout the night and when I’m in work, leaving it quiet in the evenings?

E2F01B39-3DCE-4977-A79F-7C06EA16E50A.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi,
I’ve got my tank set up, I’m only 13 / 14 weeks in. 200 gallon tank. I made a custom 5 foot sump to go under the 6 ft tank, hand built the stand and light canopy etc...

my sump has 5 chambers:
3 has my skimmer on a stand to give it exactly 19 cm of depth (recommended 18-20 )

I’m pretty happy with it all, except I find the skimmer particularly noisy. Its the Red Sea 600 skimmer, with only one method of adjustment which is the Big dial at the front for the water height.

Has anybody managed to reduce the noise of a skimmer? Or am I best just putting it on a timer so it comes on throughout the night and when I’m in work, leaving it quiet in the evenings?

I attached a pipe to exit the outflow underwater which served as a muffler

Brad ward

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

my sump has 5 chambers:

Look up diy protein skimmer silencer on YouTube
Basically it’s a small plastic bottle with hoses going in and out
Similar to a muffler on a car
Should give around 50% or more quieter

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back