How to reduce phosphates of cycling rock

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been acquiring dry rock for several months preparing myself to completely redo my 180 aquascape. I have pulsing xenia and pink and gold palys smothering all my rock and I want to remove all of that rock and start over.
I have made 3 large structures with the dry rock and reef cement that I will be using to replace my tank's rock with.
The rock is has been cycling in a 100 gallon Rubbermaid trough for over a month now and the phosphates keep going to 2.50 on the Hannah phosphate checker. I think 2.50 is the max that test can see so I'm sure it's well above 2.50.. I do water changes once a week of 100%. And the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates have all stabilized to 0. Can't lower the phosphates though.

Any tips?

OP
OP
Hotelbravo

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20170806_173348.jpg

IMG_20170806_173348.jpg

EDIT: not sure why it's posting the same picture twice. And I can't delete the second one.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% water changes are not the best way to export phosphate in such a setting since it does not drop phosphate to zero due to large amounts bound to the calcium carbonate surfaces of the rock that come off as soon as the level is dropped when new water is added.

Many people use lanthanum chloride for this purpose. It keeps phosphate low by continually binding it up. Then you can mostly rinse the lanthanum away when you are done.

Chitown tom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a huge fan of lanthanum chloride. I prepared my new marco rocks in a garbage can prior to placing in my new DT. I checked the rock daily with an ultra low hanna checker. I kept adding a splash of LC daily until I was at 0.00. I then left it for a couple of days and checked again. Still at 0.00 I did a 100% water change, let it sit with a power head for a few days, another wc, sat for a few days again then went into the DT and I kicked off the cycle.

OP
OP
Hotelbravo

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for the lanthanum chloride suggestion. Do you have any instructions listed somewhere on a forum to show how much of this I use?

Randyp79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been acquiring dry rock for several months preparing myself to completely redo my 180 aquascape. I have pulsing xenia and pink and gold palys smothering all my rock and I want to remove all of that rock and start over.
I have made 3 large structures with the dry rock and reef cement that I will be using to replace my tank's rock with.
The rock is has been cycling in a 100 gallon Rubbermaid trough for over a month now and the phosphates keep going to 2.50 on the Hannah phosphate checker. I think 2.50 is the max that test can see so I'm sure it's well above 2.50.. I do water changes once a week of 100%. And the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates have all stabilized to 0. Can't lower the phosphates though.

Any tips?
Lanthanum Chloride will drop the phosphates immediately. I used a product called Sea Klear for pools. Cheap and effective...

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lanthanum Chloride will drop the phosphates immediately. I used a product called Sea Klear for pools. Cheap and effective...
Exactly what i have. Perfect for curing out rock. Speaking of that i need to test my curing bin tonight

OP
OP
Hotelbravo

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley thanks for the tips

7 days ago I put the Lanthanum Chloride in the rock bin. The water tested 1.83 phosphates (crazy high) before the lanthanum chloride. Today I tested the water and it came out to 0.13 phosphates...
I removed the water and rock and thoroughly rinsed the rock and container it was in. Then filled it back up with clean and new saltwater.
How long should I continue testing the water to make sure phosphates do not continue leaching out? I would love to add the rock to my display on Sunday but I can wait if needed.

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think salt water was required for curing rock. Any advantage to it?

OP
OP
Hotelbravo

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do not use saltwater you are not building any bacteria or any biological colonies.

If you use fresh to cure rock. All of the biological colonies formed during this curing process will die when added to saltwater.. and then the die off will just add to undesirable nutrient levels.
Just my 2¢

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah! Thanks. I didn't think of that. Does the temp of the water it's curing in affect it as well?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah! Thanks. I didn't think of that. Does the temp of the water it's curing in affect it as well?

The warmer the water, usually the faster the breakdown of the organics in the rock. I cured some Pukani in freshwater for 6 weeks at around 84 degrees to get done of the organic debris to breakdown. I used freshwater since I planned to remove the rock to completely dry out again in order to work on some dry aquascaping ideas...i didn't intend to build a bacterial colony at that time.

OP
OP
Hotelbravo

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the complete opposite. I took dry rock and build an aquascape then started the curing process

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any certain sea klear? Anything special to look for ?

I bought the wrong Sea Klear, so be careful. Some is pure LC, but some is a mix of LC and other chemicals. I just disposed of it and used Brightwell's version at BRS. I have a snall enough water volume that the $20 Brightwell is more than I'd ever need.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back