How to remove algae off of Coral on frag plugs?

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way to kill algae on frag plugs. I have a bunch of different coral ( I have zoa's, acans, torch etc.) in my frag tank and I want to eliminate any algae before I place it into my DT. The Torch coral actually has algae growing into a break on the hard part of the stem, not sure of the proper terminology. I've heard that you can use Hydrogen peroxide, but I'm not exactly sure how. I don't want to kill my coral, just the algae! :) Thanks!!!

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, but the tank is to small for a tang! It's only a 20g long! :)

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to look into Hydrogen Peroxide. I know this works with zoanthids, but I'm not sure how the Acans and the Torch would react to it though. GL.

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to look into Hydrogen Peroxide. I know this works with zoanthids, but I'm not sure how the Acans and the Torch would react to it though. GL.
Thank you! That's kind of where I'm at, I've also heard that some Zoa's can handle the Peroxide, but I don't know about the other coral!

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just take them off the frag plug and glue them to a small rock or another frag plug and when you got the torch out of the water scrub it with a tooth brush

Thank you! I'm attaching a couple of pictures of what I'm dealing with! The Acan has algae growing all over it and as for the Torch, I was wondering if I could just cut that section off, but I have no idea how close I can cut to the head without damaging it!

Acan Algae.jpg
Torch Algae.jpg

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The torch you are fine cutting it just keep it as close to the algae as possible. The acan I would try peroxide. Also that dont look like typical hair algae not sure what it is I would start lookig for an ID asap. Identify the algae and you can identify the best possible course of action.

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The torch you are fine cutting it just keep it as close to the algae as possible. The acan I would try peroxide. Also that dont look like typical hair algae not sure what it is I would start lookig for an ID asap. Identify the algae and you can identify the best possible course of action.
Thank you! How do I use the peroxide, should I spray it on, dip it or use a swab to get as little as possible onto the coral as possible!

chaoha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went to a club meeting yesterday and Justin Credible was the speaker. He spoke about peroxide in the reef tank and recommend 1-3 ml per 10 gallons dosed daily to control algae as well as flat worms and Luther pests. He had a formula for using it as a dip but I don't remember what it was.

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the help everyone, I really appreciate it!!! I'm hoping to eradicate the algae while it is in my frag tank, I really don't want it in my DT! :)

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually do a full strength, 15s dip on zoas before they go in the tank. You can apply some directly to the algae at full strength. Then rinse with tank water.

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually do a full strength, 15s dip on zoas before they go in the tank. You can apply some directly to the algae at full strength. Then rinse with tank water.
Thank you! What do you think about the Acans, 2 of the 3 Acan frags have quite a bit of algae on them, the one pictured above is the worst!

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done diluted dips for acans. Put them in 1 cup of tank water and slowly add peroxide while swishing the cup. Do this until you start to notice bubbles on the coral. Let it soak for a minute and rinse with clean tank water.

OP
OP
drstratton

drstratton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done diluted dips for acans. Put them in 1 cup of tank water and slowly add peroxide while swishing the cup. Do this until you start to notice bubbles on the coral. Let it soak for a minute and rinse with clean tank water.
Thank you so much! I will give this a try!

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 49 29.3%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 17 10.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 58 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back