Removing live rock from tank to clean it and put back possible?

Chepre01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys,
fighting since months with red hair algae.

Is it possible to remove live rocks from my tank, put in a RO DI water basket, srub it and thread it with peroxide there and then put it back into my tank?

Guy of my reef shop told me not to do that, because i "destroy/kill" the live rock as soon as i put it out of my tank?

Not sure if this is true, due to fact i dont have any corals or whatsoever on the rocks i want to remove out of the tank to clean

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can take them out and scrub them in a bucket of tank water if you wanna keep the bacteria alive.. if you plan on bleaching or doing an acid wash it will kill everything including the bacteria.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not "as soon" as you take them out of the tank, but yes, putting them into RO water for extended time will kill a lot of the bacteria. You need the bacteria to keep the fish alive.

As mentioned above, do the scrubbing in a bucket of salt water.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is right in one way but if you have some tank water in a bin you can take a lump at a time and scrub it in the water
You can take them out and scrub them in a bucket of tank water if you wanna keep the bacteria alive.. if you plan on bleaching or doing an acid wash it will kill everything including the bacteria.
beat me to it lol

T€rm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above , clean them in tank water when you do a water change.
Rodi water will kill off your beneficial bacteria!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have pics and parameters? As mentioned above there are ways to do it. However you're still not addressing the root cause and it may return.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it out, scrub it in a bucket of tank water and put it back in. This will save the most microfauna and bacteria. The algae will come back unless you get more consumers. However, consumers will have an easier time if the algae is shorter.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes it is done, but not that way

you aren't destroying anything at all, it's precision work, like dentistry.

read this whole thread for the win:

peroxide isn't sloshed all over the rocks, or a dip. we show there it's used precision, like a dentist would use it on a big old tooth needing plaque detailing. after being rasped with a metal scraper (which is what removes the algae, it's precision rasping work like a dentist)

the result in the example threads you can see within that link above are pristine shiny reef tanks. go ahead and wash the sand too for the best win/that's what all the examples did. if you have sand that has cloudy waste in it, your algae grows back much less fast with that waste removed as we do in rip cleans.

if the algae is only on one rock and not a system outbreak due to waste storage and too bright light, then just do the remove rock + detailing treatment.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've removed all or a portion of my rock several times and wired brushed it off using tank water as a rinse.
Just keep the rock moist and you will be fine.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 85 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back