How to remove and clean UV sleeve?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TWYOUNG
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

TWYOUNG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 15, 2022
Messages
1,039
Reaction score
386
Location
St. Louis
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's time for me to clean my Pentair 40W UV Quartz sleeve for the FIRST TIME and I'm a little anxious about it. Do I need to drain it? Do I just unscrew the smaller grey part or do I need to disconnect it at the larger black cap? Are there any videos showing how to do this? The only ones I've seen are for large commercial models. Thank you so much!

16AFBBAC-4DED-419B-8667-16BEB06FFE76.jpeg
 
Shut off flow to UV first, remove black cap, lift out bulb, then you should be able to lift out the quartz sleeve, they can be stubborn to get out.
So no need to drain it? Will any water come out? Just to clarify I'm not replacing the bulb so I imagine the bulb will just remain inside the sleeve while I clean the sleeve?
 
With it mounted vertically like you have it, you shouldn't need to drain it. I have the same model mounted the same way. If you still have the instructions that came with it, there are detailed directions in there on how to remove the different pieces.
 
I don't know, depends on your UV plumbing. Got a better picture of the setup?
The UV is on it's own pump which I will shut off. I installed a valve after the UV which I can close to eliminate any backflow.
 

Attachments

  • 06F5B7A4-C01C-4D51-96AE-96184E308DB4.jpeg
    06F5B7A4-C01C-4D51-96AE-96184E308DB4.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 98
Thanks for all your help. Shouldn't have been so concerned as it couldn't have been easier. As it turns out after 3 months of running it looked to be totally clean and not in need of maintenance. Cleaned with vinegar anyway a replaced.
 
I would remove it and give it a good cleaning while your cleaning the sleeve. Mine gets a lot of crap in it.
 
The whole unit. Mine is an aqua but I remove it and flush the tubing out with a hose. also I clean the pump at the same time. Where the sleeve goes that tube gets Detritus inside.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new