How to Remove Anemones (Bad Answers Only)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Biokabe
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Biokabe

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2016
Messages
2,561
Reaction score
3,635
Location
Tacoma, WA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Before I get started - this is mostly a venting/silly thread. Unless someone has another viable method that I haven't already tried and failed with, I'm just looking for the most obviously wrong and over-the-top solutions that no one in their right mind would try.)

So I've brought up many times, a tale as old as time, something that plenty of other people have dealt with. I bought a bubble-tip anemone. One became two. Two became four. Four became seven. Seven became nine. Nine became twelve.

In short (too late, as always), the top of my rockwork - space I would very much like to use on acropora, montipora, seriatopora and other high-light, high-flow corals - is completely taken up by these anemones. And they are very resistant to removal. Their feet are largely on the underside of the rocks, and they then wrap around the rock to get at light and food particles. My rockwork is partially cemented together, and taking it out of the tank isn't a great option - very much a last resort. I can't get at the foot with an ice cube to get them to release. I can't get a powerhead in to irritate them. I can't get a plastic blade under to pry them up. And I can't mount an anemone cannon over them to encourage them to leave.

So, with that in mind... what are the other ways to get them off the rocks?
 
If you don’t care about losing them. You can pull them off while doing a water change and just siphon everything out
 
In short (too late, as always), the top of my rockwork - space I would very much like to use on acropora, montipora, seriatopora and other high-light, high-flow corals - is completely taken up by these anemones. And they are very resistant to removal. Their feet are largely on the underside of the rocks, and they then wrap around the rock to get at light and food particles. My rockwork is partially cemented together, and taking it out of the tank isn't a great option - very much a last resort. I can't get at the foot with an ice cube to get them to release. I can't get a powerhead in to irritate them. I can't get a plastic blade under to pry them up. And I can't mount an anemone cannon over them to encourage them to leave.

So, with that in mind... what are the other ways to get them off the rocks?

Flow. Direct flow at them, high speed but not ludicrous speed, but direct and constant to get them upset. If you see them move act.

Canons. You would have to weigh them down with rocks so they stay put. I've done it. Not pretty but it can work. Worth a try before you play the nuclear card.

Break up the reef structure one part at a time. Break, lift and remove, peel off anemone, replace, and repeat. May have to work in a layer methodology to prevent the domino effect of toppling everything.

Nuclear option is to use a pair of forceps. Clamp on and gently pull. Two problems with this. The first is that you may not be able to get close to the foot attach point and tear it in half causing a mess. The second problem is that, well, it is destructive.

Me, personally, having been in a similar situation try the canon, then flow, then reef structure, and then if nothing else go destructive.

Side note: do not place monitpora high, shade and more shade. Nothing you don't already know but I read you are considering it so figured I would state the obvious.
 
Did you ask them politely?
dude driving GIF
 
Uh. Injector. Loud wolf. Push in. Melt away. Big mess but ultimately would eliminate the nem.
 
Get yourself one of those smoothie straws and suck it out.
Carefully.
Watching The Tea GIF by MOODMAN

I suggest a long straw, clear of course, so you can stop in time...
Baby Drinking GIF by reactionseditor
 
Get yourself one of those smoothie straws and suck it out.
Carefully.
Watching The Tea GIF by MOODMAN

I suggest a long straw, clear of course, so you can stop in time...
Baby Drinking GIF by reactionseditor
Oof. Nem tentacle in the mouth. Bet that would feel awesome.
 
Oof. Nem tentacle in the mouth. Bet that would feel awesome.

Hey, maybe it has certain *ahem* properties. Makes you feel certain ways, get in touch with the universe. Perhaps I could open a side business for recreational pharmaceuticals? I also have plenty of mushrooms in the tank, maybe a cocktail enhances the experience.

My mushrooms aren't magic, though, so I might not get many repeat customers.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.7%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new