How to remove bubble algae

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi ,what size tank?

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Vibrant did wonders for me, 90% melted and gone within 2 months of starting.

You could also do manual removal with the pumps off (scrape them off the rocks, do NOT burst bubbles they are full of spores) then spend 1/2 an hour or so netting out all the bubbles. I would really only recommend this if the tank is smaller or if the problem is in specific areas.

If tank size allows, Foxface fish will eat the bubble algae. Please do not cram one of these fish in a tiny tank :)

I would do all of these options in a combined attack, if the emeralds are not damaging your corals then leave them in there too, they will help manage the algae after you get rid of it. Good luck! You’ll need it

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers what methods can I use to remove bubble algae I already have 3 emerald crabs that don’t seem to be doing anything to it. Please let me know

If your Patient, Vibrant will wipe out bubble algae.

Just make sure that your phosphates and nitrate stay in line so that you will not get cyano

Dose it real slow inside your sump.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide pics of your emerald crabs? I’ve seen some sold as such but they are not true emeralds. Vibrant also works as others suggested.

OP
OP
C

Calireefer92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Vibrant did wonders for me, 90% melted and gone within 2 months of starting.

You could also do manual removal with the pumps off (scrape them off the rocks, do NOT burst bubbles they are full of spores) then spend 1/2 an hour or so netting out all the bubbles. I would really only recommend this if the tank is smaller or if the problem is in specific areas.

If tank size allows, Foxface fish will eat the bubble algae. Please do not cram one of these fish in a tiny tank :)

I would do all of these options in a combined attack, if the emeralds are not damaging your corals then leave them in there too, they will help manage the algae after you get rid of it. Good luck! You’ll need it
I already have a foxface and nothing on him doing anything

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Foxface does nothing to bubble algae. My emeralds however do, only trouble is they are too problematic for my coral and had to be removed. I got some Vibrant earlier this week and will be giving that a shot to see how well it works

airmotive

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A third vote for Vibrant. Bubble and bryopsis infestation completely gone, never to return.

cbrack83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it takes an army. I manually remove as much as I can then use vibrant and also make sure you have a solid cleanup crew. I have had 2 fights with it and once I get the bubble alge under control I usually have a small bout with cino and even some hair algea... no quick fix...

I have also done some short 2-3 day blackouts of my tank which has helped also.

Davem24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alot of patience, vibrant and physical removal. Can be done! Still fighting it but winning . Tank revival pictures.

IMG_20200104_114441~2.jpg IMG_20200912_153850~2.jpg

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it takes an army. I manually remove as much as I can then use vibrant and also make sure you have a solid cleanup crew. I have had 2 fights with it and once I get the bubble alge under control I usually have a small bout with cino and even some hair algea... no quick fix...

I have also done some short 2-3 day blackouts of my tank which has helped also.
Manual removal and vibrant worked for me in about 2 months. My tank was covered. I highly recommend.
Alot of patience, vibrant and physical removal. Can be done! Still fighting it but winning . Tank revival pictures.

IMG_20200104_114441~2.jpg IMG_20200912_153850~2.jpg

What these guys have said.

Start with manual removal. I used a short piece of rigid tubing attached to a longer section of vinyl tubing. Tie a filter sock around the end of the vinyl tubing and drop it in the sump. Start a siphon in the tubing and then use the rigid tubing to carefully scrape the BA off the rocks. Get as much as you can. Then dose Vibrant. Continue this process weekly for a couple months. Eventually, the BA will turn white/grey and just sort of go away. Continue with the Vibrant for another month or so. I ended up with a small cyano problem as well. A few big water changes took care of that for me. I've been BA/cyano free for over a year now.

hth!

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had simular problem with bubble last year, was do manual, I then started vibrant, I was finally able to get a head of it. took one end off my tubing cut at a 45 degree heated it so it would harden up. this help me with the manual removal.

Back