How to remove hitchhikers from corals bought from LFS?

ggwp1111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this huge zoan rocks from a LFS. It looked so pretty and clean at the store but when I got home, I found out the rock was riddled with hitchers. There is bubble algae, bristle worms, brittle stars, bunch of tiny pink slugs looking thing crawling around, tiny stuffs swimming and crawling. I don't think I can physically removed all the them. Is there any good way to get rid of them without harming the zoan? It's a given that I wont be going back to that store anymore but I paid a lot of the zoan so I'd like to be able to keep them.

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this huge zoan rocks from a LFS. It looked so pretty and clean at the store but when I got home, I found out the rock was riddled with hitchers. There is bubble algae, bristle worms, brittle stars, bunch of tiny pink slugs looking thing crawling around, tiny stuffs swimming and crawling. I don't think I can physically removed all the them. Is there any good way to get rid of them without harming the zoan? It's a given that I wont be going back to that store anymore but I paid a lot of the zoan so I'd like to be able to keep them.
Most of the hitchhikers you describe are good ones so no need to worry Too much or avoid the LFS.

But you can use a coral dip. It won't remove everything, but it's the easiest thing you can do outside of a full coral QT.

I personally use revive, but you should mix multiple ones if you want everything gone since different brands can kill different things

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just my opinion but there's no way I would allow a bristle worm into my system. As for bubble algae you certainly don't want to introduce that into a tank. If you have a pine based Coral dip give it a 15 minute dip and watch everything come slithering out. If you don't have any sort of dip you can use safely hydrogen peroxide. I'd use roughly 1 liter of salt water and about 250 ml of hydrogen peroxide and the more it bubbles the more its killing the bad stuff. Just be sure after letting it dip for roughly 10 minutes to inspect and pull that bubble algae off.

Give it a good dip in some clean saltwater and you shouldn't have any issues. I dipped my Zoas on Thursday and within a couple hours they were out like nothing happened.

bluemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just my opinion but there's no way I would allow a bristle worm into my system. As for bubble algae you certainly don't want to introduce that into a tank. If you have a pine based Coral dip give it a 15 minute dip and watch everything come slithering out. If you don't have any sort of dip you can use safely hydrogen peroxide. I'd use roughly 1 l of water and about 250 ml of hydrogen peroxide and the more it bubbles the more its killing the bad stuff. Just be sure after letting it dip for roughly 10 minutes to inspect and pull that bubble algae off.

Give it a good dip in some clean saltwater and you shouldn't have any issues. I dipped my Zoas on Thursday and within a couple hours they were out like nothing happened.
What do you have against bristleworms?

They are one of the best CUC hitchhikers one can have.

It's like killing earthworms in a garden!

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have against bristleworms?

They are one of the best CUC hitchhikers one can have.

It's like killing earthworms in a garden!
Hey man to each their own. I'm not riding on the same bus as you I can tell you that much. I've seen tanks with bristle worms and I've seen tanks that were infested with them. So no thank you!

I can think of other types of cleanup crew that would benefit the system other than those darn things.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back