How to replace Reef Octopus with Jebao DC skimmer pump

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just posting this for anyone like me that would rather use a controllable DC jebao pump than spend big bucks on a Reef Octopus pump to replace it on their skimmer. And keep the needle wheel impeller. I did a lot of research and couldn't find much information on this topic other than people asking and not really getting any answers. So I figured I would make a step by step thread and explain how I used a jebao 4000 DC pump for my reef octopus xp-2000 Cone skimmer which is older but very similar to the newer model classic 150 skimmer.

20190214_110253.jpg

The pump I replaced was a bubble blaster hy-2000s. Excuse the build up in my picture. I run pumps until they die and I'm a slacker on pump maintenance.

20190214_110229.jpg

The replacement pump I bought on ebay listed as a jebao 4000 skimmer pump but I don't think there is any difference from any normal jebao 4000.

Replacing the impeller is simple enough. Remove the bubble blaster intake and the needle wheel impeller pulls right off. The jebao green impeller was a little more difficult. Had to remove the whole impeller assembly and use a nail punch to beat the wheel off. Be careful not to damage anything. It will not pry off the stem so don't try to do that or you'll damage it. If you hold the green impeller in one hand and give it a couple whacks upside down with the punch on the stem it will loosen and pop off. I didn't think to take any pics of that.

But here is the green jebao impeller wheel side by side with the bubble blaster needle wheel.

20190209_122414.jpg

The hole is the same size although it does not have the notch. I tried first sliding it on with nothing just putting it on. It worked for a while but eventually popped off. I then used a couple drops of acrylic reef glue to tighten it up and hold it in place. That has done the trick and it hasn't come loose again since.

20190209_122434.jpg

Now place the assembly back on the pump. There is a couple notches that need to align or you won't get the cover on properly.

20190209_122521.jpg

Now the fittings to get the jebao to the skimmer. For the pump outlet you can simply reuse the fitting from the bubble blaster pump. It threads right onto the jebao.

For the intake I had to get creative. I'm a hacker sometimes. You need to use the bubble blaster fitting to connect the air line. I was able to use one of the jebao fittings and cut off the barb fitting side so the whole fitting would fit inside the bubble blaster fitting. The jebao fitting has a flange for a wrench just barely too large to fit in the bubble blaster fitting. I used a bench grinder and carefully ground the corners of the wrench flange until I could press that fitting into the bubble blaster female threads. You need that to hold tight but obviously does not need to be water tight since it's operating under water in the end. You may have to look close at the pic to see what I did if you can't follow the written explanation.

20190209_124825.jpg

In this next photo you can see the wrench flange where it's ground down and now threaded into the bubble blaster fitting.
20190209_124812.jpg

Now your in business. Just hook up to your skimmer and start the fine tuning.

20190209_125022.jpg

For me it works best at about level 3. What's odd it that when I turn it higher I get more bubbles and less water height. I don't really understand that but I guess it just sucks more air the faster you have it pumping. 3rd setting is right in the middle so I figure that's a win. It's been about a week running now and I haven't had to make any adjustments whatsoever. Here is right after turning it on and next pic is a week later. Ignore the messy basement setup. Being in the basement I'm not all about cleaning the salt creep.

20190209_130958.jpg

The lack of skimmate isn't because it's dry, the skimmer drains directly into my basement sump area. So the cup never fills.

20190214_110303.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genius move. Thanks for posting this. I have a Jebao 4000 that was in my DT, but had to move it out into the garage to use on my mixing station. The Jebao was just too loud and whinny. But it has help up a long time and works great on the mixing station. The power on it is amazing. It really pushes the water. Even when pushing the water 50' into the DT in the house. It's amazing.

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was using the Deepwater aquatics DC pumps. I really liked them but since they went down for whatever reason I've been going with Jebao for the return pumps and haven't had any issues with them. I have a jebao 10000 DC that's pumping from the basement sump to the tank. That's about 14ft of head and it does great. There so cheap I buy an extra one to have on hand for a spare. Haven't had to use the spare yet.

DirtDiggler2823

If I can't break it, it doesn't exist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is really old, but I'm considering doing this with a SRO-3000int SSS. What Jebao DC pump would the hive recommend?

OP
OP
Triggreef

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is really old, but I'm considering doing this with a SRO-3000int SSS. What Jebao DC pump would the hive recommend?
I would suggest to look through the list of them and buy one that is putting out similar numbers, and is a similar size.

Check things like which side intake and outlet is on and things like that too because if it has to be sideways or something you may not have enough space.

For what its worth my skimmer is still working well with the jebao. I haven't even had to make any adjustments.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy a needle wheel pump directly from Reefbreeders.

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest to look through the list of them and buy one that is putting out similar numbers, and is a similar size.

Check things like which side intake and outlet is on and things like that too because if it has to be sideways or something you may not have enough space.

For what its worth my skimmer is still working well with the jebao. I haven't even had to make any adjustments.
If you have a pic of it inside the skimmer body, that would be great!

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If pump is internal it may not work and difficult to modify

DirtDiggler2823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is internal. The OP was able to pull it off with some fabrication work, and since this skimmer is an upgrade for future projects, there is no rush to get it done. I do, however want to avoid buying multiple pumps for it. @Triggreef , what toold did you use for all the work you did to make your jebao fit, and which pump do you recommend for the SRO-3000int SSS?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back