How to rinse dry sand

phlibbyreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased special grade dry sand from brs. My question is what is the best way to rinse and clean before putting into my display? I have seen a method of pouring directly into a 5 gallon buckets and rinsing with a hose, or putting the sand in a pillow case and rinsing with a hose. Should i trust hose water to rinse this sand?

Thanks.

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put mine in a bucket with the hose at the bottom to tumble the sand and take it out when the water comes out clear

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fond of the 5 gallon bucket method. Don't fill the bucket more than half full of sand. Flood and pour off repeatedly until the water runs clear. I did 80lbs of special grade last summer, took 4x 5g buckets, a hose, and 3 hours before I was happy with it. Cleaner it is, the less silt and foam you're going to have to deal with in your display. Take your time, get it clean.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 above Hose water is fine for rinsing in a 5 gallon bucket. It takes about 3 or 4 times to get out the silt. You can also use storage tubs

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It too has a lot of dust. I used the hose nozzle with a hard stream. Then after I cycle/soaked it in a tub. I did a second dip rinse to get off all the dust that remained.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, you need to rinse it very well to avoid clouding the tank for days afterwards. Tap water is just fine for this.

Here's how I do it:

I use the utility sink in my fish room. I made a standpipe for it that sticks up about 6" from the drain. Put your sand, a few pounds at a time, in a clean 5g bucket. Place bucket in the sink and start the water running. Stir the sand continuously - I use a 4" plastic putty knife. Allow the water to overflow the bucket into the sink. Don't worry about any sand that might go over the top too - the standpipe allows it to settle out while at the same time allowing the fines (dust) to go down the drain. When the water in the bucket runs clear, you are done with the first batch. Pour as much water out of the bucket as you can and then remove the sand to another bucket (the putty knife, again, works well for this). Repeat the process until all your sand has been cleaned. You will have some sand (a lot?) in the sink. Carefully remove the standpipe and allow the water to drain while trapping the sand in a corner and then transfer that sand to the final bucket as well.

Aren't you glad all that sand didn't go down the drain? Not only is it a waste of money, so is the call to the plumber for the clogged drain! (don't ask how I know this, just take my word for it)

If you are really concerned, a final rinse in RODI can be done - I've never seen the point, myself.

hth

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of success taking a piece of 4" pvc and capping the one end. Around a 24" piece seems to work best. Fill it 3/4 or so with sand, then plunge a running hose to the bottom . You may need to adjust the flow, depending on the grit of the sand. Plunge it up and down a few times through the sand, till the water runs clear. Same principle as the 5 gallon Bucket method, but the reduced diameter does an exellent job of getting the suspended matter up and out of the tube. Water flows clear relatively fast. You cannot do as much in one shot as a five gallon, but the time saved without having to do multiple rinse/dumps more than makes up for it.
Definitely faster for me. But YMMV

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to wait for it to dry or can you put it in the tank after it's clean and the water runs clear?
I don't think you have to let it dry, but, from what I recall from my research, most with experience in this cleaning method typically recommend a final rinse with RO/DI water to wash off any potential contaminants from your hose/tap water.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 agreed

blast it with tap water in a bucket until it runs clear, final rinse in ro and even if you didnt it wouldnt matter, that's to quell total unrest in the masses/the ro step :)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the real key issue to point back at myself is why do i do the ro step each time i replace my bed

my own medicine right he he

don't think Im not thinking about it each time: dude quit wimping out. quit fearing poison, you drink this stuff. you brush teeth with it. but alas I still do the ro step so please ignore the projecting above it was intentional.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend these:

They'll hold an entire 40lb bag of sand for rinsing :D

Great for water changes, too!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back