How to Set Up a Frag Tank?

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked around trying to find a guide on here but did't come across anything. How does one set up a frag tank or is it just like setting up a normal tank minus the LR and LS?

Stephanie11

Fragaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously there are so many ways to set up a frag tank, also if you keep fish or not and what you want your maintenance schedule to look like. I set my frag tank up just like a real tank. I put 90% of the rock in the sump. I'm also experimenting with ceramic media as to decrease live rock. I went bare bottom just for ease of cleaning settled detritus.
Btw my frag tank is a 40b with 29g sump. I used reef saver rock as to limit hitch hikers. I had a DSB in the sump with cheato, but have removed all sand. I run 2 reefbreeders photon 16's, also I use an sca 302 skimmer. I have fish, mostly rescue fish. I used to test weekly with salfert test kits (which I got from trading frags to lfs) but I love water changes to get all detritus out. I have found out in the past two years of this set up that good flow is hard to achieve in balance. Too much corals don't like it, to low and I get algea.

I used to have emerald crabs but they would eat fresh cut zoas, now I use snails, but they are punks sometimes.

I was told frag tanks are the experiment zone and I've learned a lot more from a frag tank than a display tank.

CubanPete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I googled this exact question before coming here. I am moving north and haven't seen too many peeps up there with frag tanks...I'm looking to start one up. I would imagine you would need the dosers or a reactor, obviously flow...what about a skimmer? Are they necessary if one is only to have corals with maybe a fish or three swimming around? What else?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is connected to the rest of my system.
So other than plumbing, powerheads and a frag rack, no special setup.
My lighting is the same type of lighting that is over my display tank.

The upside is that it makes things really easy.
The downside is that if anything nasty gets in the display, it will go through the frag tank too.

quatro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frag tanks can be funny. I have a 15" deep tank for sps with high flow and the rest of my tanks are 8" with 4" tall racks. I use pumps to "blow" across the bottom to eliminate detritus from settling and keep a nice flow over the top. Drill yer tank too, hob or all in one's have never done all for me in the past.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looked around trying to find a guide on here but did't come across anything. How does one set up a frag tank or is it just like setting up a normal tank minus the LR and LS?
Looks like we could use a good guide here on R2R! I would set up a frag tank similar to my main tank.I would keep the live rock and use crushed coral to help maintain proper parameters.

Seriously there are so many ways to set up a frag tank, also if you keep fish or not and what you want your maintenance schedule to look like. I set my frag tank up just like a real tank. I put 90% of the rock in the sump. I'm also experimenting with ceramic media as to decrease live rock. I went bare bottom just for ease of cleaning settled detritus.
Btw my frag tank is a 40b with 29g sump. I used reef saver rock as to limit hitch hikers. I had a DSB in the sump with cheato, but have removed all sand. I run 2 reefbreeders photon 16's, also I use an sca 302 skimmer. I have fish, mostly rescue fish. I used to test weekly with salfert test kits (which I got from trading frags to lfs) but I love water changes to get all detritus out. I have found out in the past two years of this set up that good flow is hard to achieve in balance. Too much corals don't like it, to low and I get algea.

I used to have emerald crabs but they would eat fresh cut zoas, now I use snails, but they are punks sometimes.

I was told frag tanks are the experiment zone and I've learned a lot more from a frag tank than a display tank.
Sounds like you a have a really nice system.I have always been fond of the 40 gallon breeder tanks.They offer a nice wide area to play in and plenty of head room.40 breeders work well with the more intensive light fixtures as well.

I googled this exact question before coming here. I am moving north and haven't seen too many peeps up there with frag tanks...I'm looking to start one up. I would imagine you would need the dosers or a reactor, obviously flow...what about a skimmer? Are they necessary if one is only to have corals with maybe a fish or three swimming around? What else?
Yes dosing and flow are needed for good growth.And I would recommend a skimmer.The fish and corals need fed so skimming will remove waste products.

Mine is connected to the rest of my system.
So other than plumbing, powerheads and a frag rack, no special setup.
My lighting is the same type of lighting that is over my display tank.

The upside is that it makes things really easy.
The downside is that if anything nasty gets in the display, it will go through the frag tank too.
Good points,especially if you don't have a quarantine tank.Although I keep all my frags in my display,would be nice to have different systems for SPS and LPS.

Frag tanks can be funny. I have a 15" deep tank for sps with high flow and the rest of my tanks are 8" with 4" tall racks. I use pumps to "blow" across the bottom to eliminate detritus from settling and keep a nice flow over the top. Drill yer tank too, hob or all in one's have never done all for me in the past.
Having the pump set up this way works well.

Is a sump/refugium needed for a frag tank?
I would recommend using a sump.You can keep your skimmer,heater,live rock and crushed coral in it.The added water volume would benefit the corals.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 17.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 55 42.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.3%
Back