How to set up a perfect reef sump in 5 easy steps

guily yalai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

After you have decided to set up a reef tank, the next step is to set up your reef sump.

Step 1: Get started​

The first step is simple: determine what you want to accomplish. Determining these things can help streamline your build and ensure that you don't over or under-build for your needs. It also gives you something to look forward to.

Step 2: Choose a space for your reef​

Be sure that there are no air conditioning or heating vents nearby. Also, try not to put your aquarium too close to any other electronic equipment, as they emit electromagnetic fields that can sometimes interfere with fish's delicate navigational systems. The height of your tank should be at least 30 inches and you should allow at least 3 feet all around for walking space. The larger the tank, the better because you will have more room to add decorations and let your imagination run wild.

Step 3: Add equipment to your sump​

If you added an overflow box, position it at eye level or above with plenty of room for water movement around it. Place your skimmer inside your tank so that its water intake line is inserted in one of your sump's upper chambers. If you plan on using an ATO system for automatic top-off, locate it beside your skimmer but still within sight of both aquarists and livestock.

Step 4: Put it all together​

Also remember that if one piece of equipment needs more than one input or output line, there will be multiple holes in its mounting bracket. The same goes for every single hole on each piece of equipment—if two holes exist where there should only be one, then both holes are used.

Step 5: Create your return pump setup​

A return pump is used to move water from your tank back into your sump. Because these pumps use electricity, you must purchase one with an appropriate wattage rating and check frequently for wear and tear.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Struggling to make any sense or purpose of this topic.....

Well, guess its time for my medications ;)

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I happen to be looking for a sump and came across one locally, but it doesn't appear to have a refugium chamber as far as I can tell, so I'm not sure if I should pass on it or not.

Thoughts on this sump?
20220607_163017.jpg

OP
OP
guily yalai

guily yalai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's inconvenient that there is not refugium chamber, but if you can raise specialized Algae in it to 'eat' NO3 and PO4, then you can try to set it up. I don't have other ideas.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%

Back