How to set up email alerts, ISP blocks port 25?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

shoggoth43

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ISP blocks port 25. I don't see any settings for toggling TLS and I never get any test emails. I've tested and port 587 seems to be open for all of these servers so it doesn't seem to be blocked. I have tried several email accounts and several servers. I've done this in GCC as well as MyGHL. I've even power cycled the P4.

What am I missing here?

Using a gmail account:

Username: [email protected]
Password: <gmailpassword>

smtp.gmail.com port 587
smtp-relay.gmail.com port 587

Using a hotmail account:

smtp-mail.outlook.com port 587
smtp.live.com port 587

Using an outlook account:

Username: [email protected]
Password: <outlookpassword>

smtp.office365.com port 587

-
S

wiszmaster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The P4 doesn't send direct to the specified SMTP server, rather relays the emails through the GHL servers.
Check your GMAIL account settings for allowing insecure emails. If you search this forum, there are a few guides.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Outlook and the server I use is: smtp-mail.outlook.com

Outlook has blocked the emails a couple of times in the past on me. I had to acknowledge that they weren't suspicious. The emails will be from Germany.

OP
OP
S

shoggoth43

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The P4 doesn't send direct to the specified SMTP server, rather relays the emails through the GHL servers.
Check your GMAIL account settings for allowing insecure emails. If you search this forum, there are a few guides.

I'll look again but I'm not quite sure how it is supposed to work as my Apex certainly does not require any sort of email account information from me beyond just the TO: address in order to send email notifications.

The videos I've watched and the several threads I read prior to this show other email accounts in use. As I said, I have tried at least three separate email accounts and at least 5 different servers total so I think I've given this a pretty fair attempt. Port 25 is definitely blocked although 587 is open.

If you're suggesting my only viable option might be a gmail account I had already set gmail to allow the insecure apps during my prior testing and got this email.

B8_0hh_kIBprLoT8bCePmfELNuVIhjgLTgDYWEe0RSzHp42ddUTNQ2tizIbDltIQPRrdXBsRm-EWiN3x_tupY9IbCUVKWS__eccUtcIL9n-ix3UoA7owUUXxHj8=s0-d-e1-ft

Access for less secure apps setting has been turned on

However I never got any notice or email I could find with a hyperlink to click on regarding captcha settings. Given the complete lack of any results using the other accounts and servers, and the lack of the captcha link I'm not sure it's even sending it but I don't see any option for checking a log on the P4 to see where this process is breaking down. I'm just not sure what is going on with this which is really frustrating considering I used to do email forensics and tracking, email server administration, and firewall and network switch admin a couple of years ago, so this already seems way more difficult than it should be.

I'll freely admit I'm frustrated with this issue and the stream group flow limitations as right now I've spent quite a chunk of cash and I currently have considerably less functionality than I have on a prior generation Apex unit I purchased five or six years ago. That doesn't seem right but I'm sure I'll eventually find a way to make this work.

-
S

wiszmaster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll look again but I'm not quite sure how it is supposed to work as my Apex certainly does not require any sort of email account information from me beyond just the TO: address in order to send email notifications.

The videos I've watched and the several threads I read prior to this show other email accounts in use. As I said, I have tried at least three separate email accounts and at least 5 different servers total so I think I've given this a pretty fair attempt. Port 25 is definitely blocked although 587 is open.

If you're suggesting my only viable option might be a gmail account I had already set gmail to allow the insecure apps during my prior testing and got this email.

B8_0hh_kIBprLoT8bCePmfELNuVIhjgLTgDYWEe0RSzHp42ddUTNQ2tizIbDltIQPRrdXBsRm-EWiN3x_tupY9IbCUVKWS__eccUtcIL9n-ix3UoA7owUUXxHj8=s0-d-e1-ft

Access for less secure apps setting has been turned on

However I never got any notice or email I could find with a hyperlink to click on regarding captcha settings. Given the complete lack of any results using the other accounts and servers, and the lack of the captcha link I'm not sure it's even sending it but I don't see any option for checking a log on the P4 to see where this process is breaking down. I'm just not sure what is going on with this which is really frustrating considering I used to do email forensics and tracking, email server administration, and firewall and network switch admin a couple of years ago, so this already seems way more difficult than it should be.

I'll freely admit I'm frustrated with this issue and the stream group flow limitations as right now I've spent quite a chunk of cash and I currently have considerably less functionality than I have on a prior generation Apex unit I purchased five or six years ago. That doesn't seem right but I'm sure I'll eventually find a way to make this work.

-
S
Are you on latest versions of firmware, both P4 and WiFi module?
I vaguely recall seeing some posts about length of email/subject may have been an issue in some cases. If you're not on latest firmware, I'd upgrade both P4 firmware and the WiFi firmware (those are separate, as is Web interface) - then try again. If still issue, make sure DNS is set right, MyGHL is connected (this also validates outbound connectivity to MyGHL Servers) - then try messing with subject line. Create a simple test email.
Save and test.

Here are some quick links that google came up with:
https://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/...ttings-setup-for-mail-sending-with-ProfiLux-4
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/profilux-4-email-notifications.342082/

Downloads:
WiFi firmware & webinterface: https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads/wifi-module-esp-update/#changelog
WiFi Firmware 7078
Webinterface: 3.0.0
P4 Firmware: 7.22

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the most obvious if the GHL really needs you to specify an smtp server, but you must have an email account with your ISP? Port 25 may well be open only to their server.

OP
OP
S

shoggoth43

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on 7021 on the P4 firmware and I think 6198 on the Wifi.

I updated to 7078 for WiFi and updated the Webserver interface with the files included there. After several reboots I was able to send a test email via an outlook.com address and as Ingchr1 suggested I got a "we see some suspicious activity" email which I told it to ignore. I haven't seen any further test emails come through just yet, but this is decent progress.

In case this is useful for others, thus far the settings used are:

smtp-mail.outlook.com on port 587 after updating to the 7078 firmware on the wifi module.

I don't know why the wifi module would make a difference when the information I was reading suggested 6198 should have been new enough, but I was pretty much restarting after every change this time, so that might have shaken something loose as well. It may just be that I need to learn how to swear in German to properly threaten it into cooperating more quickly next time.

Port 25 is most definitely blocked outbound unless I specifically use the ISP's servers and email account. The last time I inquired about anything from them I got quite a few calls for weeks suggesting that I upgrade to their next tier plan so I'd rather not draw their marketing department's attention if I can avoid it. I suspect port 25 is probably blocked for most people nowadays unless they use their respective ISP's servers.

Thus far email alerts appear to be working. I'll certainly need to do quite a bit of work on the email tokens but at least the basic notifications now function.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the flow patterns working like my Apex and then on to the doser.

And just to restate the obvious...

Thanks for the suggestions! The help is much appreciated.

-
S

Are you on latest versions of firmware, both P4 and WiFi module?
I vaguely recall seeing some posts about length of email/subject may have been an issue in some cases. If you're not on latest firmware, I'd upgrade both P4 firmware and the WiFi firmware (those are separate, as is Web interface) - then try again. If still issue, make sure DNS is set right, MyGHL is connected (this also validates outbound connectivity to MyGHL Servers) - then try messing with subject line. Create a simple test email.
Save and test.

Here are some quick links that google came up with:
https://forum.aquariumcomputer.com/...ttings-setup-for-mail-sending-with-ProfiLux-4
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/profilux-4-email-notifications.342082/

Downloads:
WiFi firmware & webinterface: https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads/wifi-module-esp-update/#changelog
WiFi Firmware 7078
Webinterface: 3.0.0
P4 Firmware: 7.22

Maybe the most obvious if the GHL really needs you to specify an smtp server, but you must have an email account with your ISP? Port 25 may well be open only to their server.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back