How to ship

classklown90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I hope this is in the right spot, if not please move.

I'm looking to start shipping and selling corals. Mainly sps and zoas. I have a few questions for you guys.

1. What do I tell the shipoing company is in the box when they ask?

2. What supplies should I get from uline and what sizes? I'd like to have a box with the foam lining, bags to ship the corals in and heat/cold packs if needed

3. Can somone give me a good DOA policy to follow and enforce?

4. What is a good standard price that I can offer for shipping overnight for:
Ups
Fedex
Usps
I live in NJ. Most threads I see will say have a standard price such as "ups overnight $55" rather than calculating it exactly and charging that price

5. Any misc. Tips? Best time to drop off, best days to ship, etc.

Thanks in advance. Hoping some of you big name sellers chime in.

sceia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following.... I'd be interested to know how many are sending overnight for $35... seems like I get hit for 85 or more everytime I get a quote...

Usctom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't say anything unless they ask. They don't usually ask
2. What supplies should I get from uline and what sizes? I'd like to have a box with the foam lining, bags to ship the corals in and heat/cold packs if needed
Boxes I usually go to lowes or homedepot and buy 3/4" foam to line. Too expensive if you buy those kits from uline. Bags I have an assortment of sizes. 2x8, 4x10 etc. Specimen containers are also nice to have.
A picture 2 hours after delivery.
Ups: Same as fedex.
Fedex: Depends on location. Could be anywhere from $40 to $100 depending on location. Link your ebay account for a discount.
Usps: $35
I live in NJ. Most threads I see will say have a standard price such as "ups overnight $55" rather than calculating it exactly and charging that price

Drop of a little before pickup. Usually between 5-6. I like to ship M-T for ups and fedex incase something happens. Then it won't be sitting around all weekend.

OP
OP
classklown90

classklown90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't say anything unless they ask. They don't usually ask
Boxes I usually go to lowes or homedepot and buy 3/4" foam to line. Too expensive if you buy those kits from uline. Bags I have an assortment of sizes. 2x8, 4x10 etc. Specimen containers are also nice to have.
A picture 2 hours after delivery.
Ups: Same as fedex.
Fedex: Depends on location. Could be anywhere from $40 to $100 depending on location. Link your ebay account for a discount.
Usps: $35

Drop of a little before pickup. Usually between 5-6. I like to ship M-T for ups and fedex incase something happens. Then it won't be sitting around all weekend.

Thank you that is all I was looking for. If they do ask what do you say? And what are good sizes boxes to have?

RacinRevo0818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Box size all depends on size of corals your going to be shipping. Small frags, small boxes. They charge by the inch more then the pound so under 8" all around is a great start.
People shipping for so cheap have FedEx accounts and ship a lot of packages and probably still take a hit on shipping. But making the money back on coral hopefully.
It sounds like your really serious about shipping so take the time and get approved for shipping live specimens. Basically you send them a box packaged and they will either approve it or not. Talk to ups or fed ex or you can always lie and say aquruim decorations. I've never had anyone ask me but whatever works.

OP
OP
classklown90

classklown90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Box size all depends on size of corals your going to be shipping. Small frags, small boxes. They charge by the inch more then the pound so under 8" all around is a great start.
People shipping for so cheap have FedEx accounts and ship a lot of packages and probably still take a hit on shipping. But making the money back on coral hopefully.
It sounds like your really serious about shipping so take the time and get approved for shipping live specimens. Basically you send them a box packaged and they will either approve it or not. Talk to ups or fed ex or you can always lie and say aquruim decorations. I've never had anyone ask me but whatever works.

Thanks. I wont be selling enough to have to get approved, I just wanted to know what to do if I got put in that situation. Thanks for the help.

At what temps do you guys recommend using cold packs, heat packs or none?

RacinRevo0818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend heat packs when ever your looking at temps under 70 degrees for the entire time shipping. Seems like most corals accept being warmer then colder so never really used ice packs.
No matter what I would set up online fed ex. That will usually save you 10 or 15%.

OP
OP
classklown90

classklown90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend heat packs when ever your looking at temps under 70 degrees for the entire time shipping. Seems like most corals accept being warmer then colder so never really used ice packs.
No matter what I would set up online fed ex. That will usually save you 10 or 15%.

Great thanks for all the help

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back