How to stop siphon on drilled tank

JEREMY82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so my problem is when my tank breaks siphon it over floods my sump through the return line.any ideas of how to stop this with out buying a new sump/bulkhead is non threaded also.

1491484927510-1182307293.jpg

Trevor203

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
put a one way valve in the pipe. or drill a hole about 1/2 inch below the water line.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't tell from that photo... is that being used as an exit from the tank, or a return into it?

If it's an overflow, put an up facing 90 on it, so that you're surface skimming. Pump goes off, it'll settle to the top of the 90 and stop.

If it's a return, put a short piece of loc-line on it, angled very near the surface of the tank. The closer to the surface you can come, the less water will drain when the pump is off.

When you design a system, having sufficient space in the sump for the water that does drain should be one of your design criteria.

Yes, you can buy an anti-back flow valve. I don't trust them. Seen them fail too often. With a little planning and thought given to a system design, they're unnecessary.

OP
OP
JEREMY82

JEREMY82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the return .. and this was a system that was being neglected so I bought it .this wasn't suppose to be running anymore, but ..... well you know how the hobby goes

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the return .. and this was a system that was being neglected so I bought it .this wasn't suppose to be running anymore, but ..... well you know how the hobby goes
Ok, return line... A few bits of PVC would be the cheap route, just turn it up, then out, as close to the surface as possible. A 4" long bit of loc-line, with a flared jet and whatever you need to connect to that bulkhead, might be a bit more 'flexible' :)

You could just put a check valve on the outside... it'd work... probably. As I said, I just don't trust them. Too easy for a bit of sand or whatever to get into them and cause them to leak.

OP
OP
JEREMY82

JEREMY82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My deal is I'm leaving country for a month and need to get the tanks were my friends don't have to many problems that come up so just 90 a couple pc of pvc to raise were water comes in.

Back