how to take care of salt all over tank and filter?

Linknzelda1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I do regular WCs and make sure my tank is topped off but I still have issues will salt build up. I was thinking it is due to my air stone being in the back part of the tank, the bubbles come up where the cover doesn't cover. So I assume the bubbles popping is getting salt everywhere. Will the problem solve itself if I got an auto top off? or should I move my air stone to a location that is covered by the lid? Would it be ok for me to remove the filter and clean all the salt off with water? or is this not recommended due to losing beneficial bacteria?

OP
OP
Linknzelda1

Linknzelda1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so a powerhead puts oxygen in the tank? I thought the skimmer dissolves oxygen in the tank? will just creating ripples in the water provide enough O2 for the full tank?

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i suggest a little spin through BRS 52 weeks of reefing on youtube. Tons of great information for reefers just feeling their way around. Chances are there is a lot of things you might be wondering up that will be clear as day after.

OP
OP
Linknzelda1

Linknzelda1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a spray bottle with RODI water near my tank and spray it down every couple of days. This keeps salt creep down.
you just spray the the actual tank and filter and everything? That's super smart! thanks for the tip!

OP
OP
Linknzelda1

Linknzelda1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a wet washcloth, wipe down tank. Done.
I do this daily, however wiping it down with a cloth sometimes little pieces will fall in the water so if there was a way I could avoid this or at least bring the salt build to a minimum than I figured I would ask someone.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple sets of these cleaning cloths that I use for my tanks. Wet the main cloth with water leave it with a decent amount of moisture still on it then wipe down the tank then use the second cloth while still well wet to dry it off and will be clean as can be.

Amazon Link

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so a powerhead puts oxygen in the tank? I thought the skimmer dissolves oxygen in the tank? will just creating ripples in the water provide enough O2 for the full tank?
The water surface should be fairly agitated, somewhat like white water rapids. This provides gas exchange.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's ok f the salt falls back into the water, that's where it came from in the first place. Just don't use any chemicals while wiping.
be careful if there are corals in the tank. If raw salt falls on the corals, it can burn the coral

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Get rid of the air stone. Make sure you have good surface water movement.
When you wipe down the salt deposits make sure they don't fall back in the tank of top of a coral or let fish go after the pieces. Had a friend that lost fish when it grabbed a chunk of salt.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back