How to take SPS sample for microscope?

Nerdist Aquarist

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 12, 2019
Messages
164
Reaction score
126
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does one take a sample of SPS (acropora) to be viewed under a microscope? I bought a microscope a while ago and not really using it. I'm not even sure if it's capable of seeing bacteria, but I'm curious to try. Do I take a swab with a q-tip or something?
 
How does one take a sample of SPS (acropora) to be viewed under a microscope? I bought a microscope a while ago and not really using it. I'm not even sure if it's capable of seeing bacteria, but I'm curious to try. Do I take a swab with a q-tip or something?
These specimens have a mucus like coating on them and it calls for a small scrape but yet you dont want to scrape their skeleton
If using a sample glass for microscope, gently run along the coral surface and then view it
 
These specimens have a mucus like coating on them and it calls for a small scrape but yet you dont want to scrape their skeleton
If using a sample glass for microscope, gently run along the coral surface and then view it
Much appreciated!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new