How to tell how much water level will rise above overflow line?

Cv111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out how much my water level will rise above the overflow line once my pump is on as I'm going for a relatively high water line.

I'm using a sicce syncra 3.0 that gets under 600 gph after head loss is factored in, probably between 400-500 actually.

I wanted to use the eclipse s from eshopp. This has two 1" drains in a herbie overflow setup.

By my math a 1" diameter pipe has .79" of surface area. The eclipse has 9 toothed weir holes that are .25 inch wide.

If my math is correct, I'd need a .35" rise in water level to achieve the same cross section area at the overflow teeth as the pipe that forms the drain. Therefore, the water should be .35" above the bottom edge of the weirs?

If I wanted a ~.5" gap between the top of tank (rimless) and the water level when the tank is in operation, I'd want to make sure that the bottom edge of the teeth are ~.85" from the top of the glass?

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use all the math you want, but there’s only one way to get an answer to that. And I think you know what it is. I’m an engineer, and the way you prove out calcs are with trial and error.

OP
OP
Cv111

Cv111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use all the math you want, but there’s only one way to get an answer to that. And I think you know what it is. I’m an engineer, and the way you prove out calcs are with trial and error.

So there isn't a straightforward relationship between the area of the two?

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol can confirm. Our engineers at work are the same way

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there isn't a straightforward relationship between the area of the two?
The relationship to the area is just one part of one of the equations. The actual flow rate of the pump and the flow rate through the drain line are the bigger dynamic pieces to another equation.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Bill will said. Your biggest variables are flow rate from your return pump and any gate valves used on primary drains. I can make my water line rise all the way if I just tighten my gate valve(restrict the drain flow) this will slow your tank turnover as well.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Even the best calculations are just best tried and find out how it works out in practice. Make sure to let fully get up to speed and also fully down to see where the water goes each way. I hope that makes sense.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out how much my water level will rise above the overflow line once my pump is on as I'm going for a relatively high water line.

I'm using a sicce syncra 3.0 that gets under 600 gph after head loss is factored in, probably between 400-500 actually.

I wanted to use the eclipse s from eshopp. This has two 1" drains in a herbie overflow setup.

By my math a 1" diameter pipe has .79" of surface area. The eclipse has 9 toothed weir holes that are .25 inch wide.

If my math is correct, I'd need a .35" rise in water level to achieve the same cross section area at the overflow teeth as the pipe that forms the drain. Therefore, the water should be .35" above the bottom edge of the weirs?

If I wanted a ~.5" gap between the top of tank (rimless) and the water level when the tank is in operation, I'd want to make sure that the bottom edge of the teeth are ~.85" from the top of the glass?

Not that it matters much but PVC is rated by the internal diameter of the pipe, not the external. The external diameter of 1" PVC is closer to 1.3" and the internal is usually slightly more than 1" (depends on the schedule pipe being used).

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 71 71.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back