How to Test for Stray Voltage and What to Use to Do it?

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning,

I am thinking of testing for stray voltage in my tank preemptively. However, I lack the requisite expertise necessary to know what to buy (e.g. multimeter or voltammeter) and specifically which model to buy. Additionally, I have read conflicting information on what settings to use.

I know I am overcomplicating this, but I don't want to die or implode because I bought the wrong product or used the wrong settings.

Maybe someone can share an Amazon link to the product they use and explain how to do it.

Thank you

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any meter that measures AC voltage should work. For an Amazon link, this one should be good enough:

You set the meter to AC voltage (single squiggly line), then stick one probe in the water and the other probe in the ground (bottom hole) of a grounded outlet. You likely won't see 'zero' unless your tank is grounded, due to electric things moving in the tank, but it should be low, and you shouldn't be getting shocked if you put your hands in the tank.

Generally, I recommend having tank equipment plugged into GFCI outlets, so failed equipment will trip the outlet instead of shocking you.

OP
OP
R

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any meter that measures AC voltage should work. For an Amazon link, this one should be good enough:

You set the meter to AC voltage (single squiggly line), then stick one probe in the water and the other probe in the ground (bottom hole) of a grounded outlet. You likely won't see 'zero' unless your tank is grounded, due to electric things moving in the tank, but it should be low, and you shouldn't be getting shocked if you put your hands in the tank.

Generally, I recommend having tank equipment plugged into GFCI outlets, so failed equipment will trip the outlet instead of shocking you.

This is very helpful. Thank you.

Do I insert the black cord into the ground/bottom hole on the outlet (with the red cord going to the tank)?

Additionally, do I remove the tank's grounding probe from the outlet before testing?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I insert the black cord into the ground/bottom hole on the outlet (with the red cord going to the tank)?
For our purposes, it doesn't matter if you switch probes around. One way will make the meter read a positive value and the other way will make the meter read negative.
Additionally, do I remove the tank's grounding probe from the outlet before testing?
You can try it both ways. Likely, with a grounding probe, the meter will read zero. And with the grounding probe removed, you may see a few volts.

Just as an FYI, it's not safe to use a grounding probe without a GFCI.

OP
OP
R

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an FYI, it's not safe to use a grounding probe without a GFCI.
I appreciate it. So should I order this as welll to make sure I have a GFCI outlet:

Klein Tools RT210 Outlet Tester, Receptacle Tester for GFCI / Standard North American AC Electrical Outlets, Detects Common Wiring Problems https://a.co/d/6vFtACU

If the light turns on does that mean the outlet is GFCI? Pardon my ignorance.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should I order this as welll to make sure I have a GFCI outlet:
No need to order that, unless you really want it.
If the light turns on does that mean the outlet is GFCI? Pardon my ignorance.
A GFCI outlet is like what's in kitchens and bathrooms. It's for wet locations and unfinished floors. The outlet trips if the GFCI detects different current between the hot and neutral sides. You would know if you have one.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back