How to transport a large euphyllia coral to new house?

NewbReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I have recently moved and will be transporting a large hammer coral, probably about 12" in height and width for a 3-4 hour drive. I'm just wondering the best route for this? I have a large, plastic bucket with a lid that I use for mixing salt and I was going to put in there by itself. Would it be okay just filled with water with the hammer removed from current rock, or should I line the bucket with bubble wrap on the inside?

My worry is the coral banging into the sides and killing a head!

The other thing I was considering was just putting the hammer and rock where it's currently and building a support with polystrene?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
cut a piece of styrofoam to float ,put base through ,not allowing hammer to touch sides or bottom of bucket

dandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral suppliers use the following method.
Attach a piece of Styrofoam to the underside of the coral using rubberbands. Fill a plastic bag 1/2 to 3/4 full of water depending on the size of the piece. Lower the coral into the bag head first. The coral will be suspended and no heads will get damaged.
p.s. before removing the hammer from the tank gently move you hand over the coral to get the heads to retract.
This will help ensure that the coral heads are not damaged due to their own weight.

Keep your eyes on the road and have a safe trip.
Happy reefing
Dan

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cut a piece of styrofoam to float ,put base through ,not allowing hammer to touch sides or bottom of
This is a great way to do it. I like to go one step further by supergluing the styrofoam to the underside of the lid. This prevents any movement at all. Just be sure the styrofoam is thick enough so the hammer is fully submerged.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back