How to?

Joel Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys
So this little piece was given to me as a gift or lets say the guy "got rid of them" cuz he gave them away to me for free lol, not mad at all, i really like them and i was just wondering how can i make them open up more and if you guys can tell me the exact name, also just wanted to share the red one and see how i can take it off of the frag and put it on an actual rock or should i leave it where it is

~0638246.JPG

Inked~1384491_LI.jpg

Inked~4895563_LI.jpg

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome.

Zoanthids do not need to be taken off the plug if you do not wish to (will likely cause damage if you do). They have connecting tissue between each polyp which they use to attach to the rock/plug and to spread and pop out babies. They will eventually spread over the entire plug and onto and adjoining rock that is touching the plug.

As far as the trade names, I'm not the one to help here.

Nice grabs, especially for free!

Welcome to R2R!

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should open up with time. As for taking the zoas off the plug, I would leave it be. You don't want to risk injuring them. You could trim the stem off the plug though.

McArcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually (very carefully and wearing gloves and goggles) scrape them off the plug with a razor blade and glue them to a rock.

OP
OP
J

Joel Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th
Welcome.

Zoanthids do not need to be taken off the plug if you do not wish to (will likely cause damage if you do). They have connecting tissue between each polyp which they use to attach to the rock/plug and to spread and pop out babies. They will eventually spread over the entire plug and onto and adjoining rock that is touching the plug.

As far as the trade names, I'm not the one to help here.

Nice grabs, especially for free!

Welcome to R2R!
Thanks for the advice, and yea it was funny because I only asked the guy about them and he was like "do you like them? take em! take em all! lol

OP
OP
J

Joel Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should open up with time. As for taking the zoas off the plug, I would leave it be. You don't want to risk injuring them. You could trim the stem off the plug though.
I thought about that too, but i wanted to know if it was safe to just take the whole thing off, so ill just leave them as they are and not risk anything

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back