How will my Home lighting affect the tank?

MuscleBobBuffPants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tanks. One in my bedroom and one in the living room. In my bedroom I have a fan that has a regular room light, like for my my bedroom.
And in my living room there is recessed lighting to illuminate the room itself.

I know you’re only supposed to turn on the reef lights for 8-12 hours but will these other lights being on affect anything? My family wakes up in the morning at 7–8 and we got to sleep like 11pm or 12 sometimes.

Will the lights that we use to illuminate the house cause any issues? What should I do about this?

Btw I searched everywhere for this and it’s like no one has ever even asked it before, I could find no information on it.

More explanation: I usually wake up at 8:30am or so and get ready for work. I’m out of my bedroom until 5 or 6pm or so, and then I might come in and out randomly until I decide to stay in my room and watch Netflix/whatever until I sleep (usually late) with Covid going on and I’m at home, there might be times that I randomly walk in and out of my room and may flip the light on the wall on.

The living room has a larger tank in it. My parents get up in the morning early like 7 or so and then there’s activity in the living room until the entire house falls asleep, usually midnight.

So although the reef lights aren’t on there is a 10 foot ceiling with recessed lighting that’s powered on basically from 7Am to midnight every day.

Is this bad?

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two tanks. One in my bedroom and one in the living room. In my bedroom I have a fan that has a regular room light, like for my my bedroom.
And in my living room there is recessed lighting to illuminate the room itself.

I know you’re only supposed to turn on the reef lights for 8-12 hours but will these other lights being on affect anything? My family wakes up in the morning at 7–8 and we got to sleep like 11pm or 12 sometimes.

Will the lights that we use to illuminate the house cause any issues? What should I do about this?

Btw I searched everywhere for this and it’s like no one has ever even asked it before, I could find no information on it.

More explanation: I usually wake up at 8:30am or so and get ready for work. I’m out of my bedroom until 5 or 6pm or so, and then I might come in and out randomly until I decide to stay in my room and watch Netflix/whatever until I sleep (usually late) with Covid going on and I’m at home, there might be times that I randomly walk in and out of my room and may flip the light on the wall on.

The living room has a larger tank in it. My parents get up in the morning early like 7 or so and then there’s activity in the living room until the entire house falls asleep, usually midnight.

So although the reef lights aren’t on there is a 10 foot ceiling with recessed lighting that’s powered on basically from 7Am to midnight every day.

Is this bad?
they'll be ok as long as they get some hrs of darkness (when everyone goes to sleep). i'd suggest you stick to 6-8 hours of tank light and purchase a smart plug or two so that you can set up a schedule for them to turn on and off at a set cycle! just make sure the actual tank light cycle is constant, that's the most important factor

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 63 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back