How would Tin and Aluminum be entering my tank?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting high aluminum and I use my washing machine to clean my filter socks. I don't know if that's where its coming from.

Unlikely. How high is aluminum? Icp companies have a tendency to cry wolf. Is the tank ok?

Any white media?

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlikely. How high is aluminum? Icp companies have a tendency to cry wolf. Is the tank ok?

Any white media?

Any white media?
I don't use the marine pure brand. I use something similar. The eshopps brand of media. So yes to answer your question. The tank looks fine. Sps are growing. Good color. Lps are growing and multiplying. Fish are healthy. But its not just aluminum. Aluminum is 0.0150ppm barium is 0.0380ppm cobalt is 0.0010ppm cesium is 0.0500ppm copper is 0.0070ppm lithium is 0.2530ppm rubidium is 0.4910ppm uranium is 0.0100ppm vanadium is 0.050ppm zinc is 0.0010ppm . The aluminum bothers me most. The icp test was done Thursday Jan 26th 2023 it was measured against natural sea water. By reef labs in Tampa Florida. I Feed frozen brine with spurlina. Live phytoplankton. I had just completed a chemiclean treatment for cyano a couple weeks before the test. Wich gave me dinoflagellates I had when I sent the test and I still have dinoflagellates today. I have a 5 stage rodi system. Filters were changed in November 2022. I run a uv sterilizer with filter socks in a 3ft red sea tank using red sea 2part. That's about as much information I can think of to share.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use the marine pure brand. I use something similar. The eshopps brand of media. So yes to answer your question. The tank looks fine. Sps are growing. Good color. Lps are growing and multiplying. Fish are healthy. But its not just aluminum. Aluminum is 0.0150ppm barium is 0.0380ppm cobalt is 0.0010ppm cesium is 0.0500ppm copper is 0.0070ppm lithium is 0.2530ppm rubidium is 0.4910ppm uranium is 0.0100ppm vanadium is 0.050ppm zinc is 0.0010ppm . The aluminum bothers me most. The icp test was done Thursday Jan 26th 2023 it was measured against natural sea water. By reef labs in Tampa Florida. I Feed frozen brine with spurlina. Live phytoplankton. I had just completed a chemiclean treatment for cyano a couple weeks before the test. Wich gave me dinoflagellates I had when I sent the test and I still have dinoflagellates today. I have a 5 stage rodi system. Filters were changed in November 2022. I run a uv sterilizer with filter socks in a 3ft red sea tank using red sea 2part. That's about as much information I can think of to share.

If the aluminum is 0.015 ppm (15 ppb), then I would not do anythign about it. It takes more, IME, to be an issue.

ELChingonsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the aluminum is 0.015 ppm (15 ppb), then I would not do anythign about it. It takes more, IME, to be an issue.
Thanks randy for your advice. I appreciate it very much. I did a 20% water change last night and put a polly pad in the sump just to be safe. I have been using H202 for the dynoflaglates. I use 8mls for the entire 88 gallon system. So 1ml per gallon. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or it's just the red sea blue bucket salt I use that's high in certain things. But I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my questions. Have a great week sir.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back